Many Thurston County Agency records are available on the Thurston County Web site at no cost.
Requesters are encouraged to view the documents available here and on Thurston County Agencies' Web sites prior to submitting a Records Request.
- The Request form (Procedure Appendix A) is available here and at each Thurston County Agency.
- For a current list of Thurston County's Public Record Coordinators, click here.
Public Records Requests should include:
Name and address of Requester.
The date of the request.Other contact information, including telephone number and any email address.
A detailed description of the Public Record being requested.
Whether the requester wants copies, or wants to inspect the requested Public Records.
For more information, please review Thurston County's policy regarding the Public Records Act. Thurston County follows specific procedures regarding the handling of Public Records Requests.
Thurston County has adopted the charges set forth in RCW 42.56.120(2), as may be amended, as the fees and costs which may be charged for providing public records requested under the Public Records Act.
Those charges include:
- Photocopies, printed copies of electronic records when requested, use of County equipment to make copies
- Scanned records, use of County equipment for scanning
- Records uploaded to email, or cloud based data storage service, or other means of electronic delivery
- 5 cents per each 4 electronic files or attachments
- Records transmitted in electronic format or for use of County equipment to send records electronically
- Digital media storage or devices
- Any container or envelope used to mail copies
- Postage or delivery charges
The charges above may be combined to the extent that more than one type of charge applies to copies produced in response to a particular request.
Thurston County may also include a customized service charge if the request requires the use of information technology expertise to prepare data compilations, or provide customized electronic access services when such compilations and customized access services are not used by the County for other purposes.
Further, where state or federal law sets a particular fee for searching records, research, and/or providing a copy of a record, that fee will be charged.
Please check with the specific County agency providing the record for further information about the applicable charges for records.
Public Records Act - Exemptions from Disclosure
The Public Records Act provides that a number of types of documents and/or parts of documents are exempt from public inspection and copying. Following is more information about Exemptions from Disclosure:
E-mailed Public Records Requests will only be accepted at the official Thurston County Public Records Request e-mail address noted below.
As of October of 2010, the County's e-mail system limits e-mail attachments to 20 megabytes. The County's e-mail system capacity may change without notice. The County does not warrant or in any way guarantee the accuracy or completeness of electronic records.