Frequently Asked Questions
What forms of payment do you accept?

​We accept cash, check (made out to “Thurston County Auditor”), and credit cards for payment. We charge all cards a service fee of $2.00 or 2.35%, whichever is highest.

​Document Searches
How do I view recordings from your office?

​You can view our documents' indexed information through our Online Record Index. Due to privacy concerns, only certain documents can be viewed online. These documents include:

  • Most maps
  • Declaration of Forfeitures
  • Notice of Intent of Forfeits (NIFs)
  • Notice of Trustees Sales (NTSs)
  • Discontinuances of NIFs and NTSs
How do I request copies of recorded documents?

​Our office can provide photo copies and certified copies of recorded documents.

If you would like to order copies, we accept credit cards (all card transactions are charged a $2.00 or 2.35% service fee) over the phone at 360.786.5405 and in-person or you can send a written request to:

Thurston County Auditor

Attn: Copy Request

2000 Lakeridge Dr. SW

Olympia, WA 98502

Please include the document's Auditor File Number, a return address and a check or money order made payable to the "Thurston County Auditor."

Photo copies cost $1.00 per page.

Certified copies of each document cost $3.00 for the first page and $1.00 for each additional page. 

How do I find an easement?

Finding an easement can be one of the more difficult document searches, and will most likely need to be researched by a Title Company. To complete an easement search in our office, follow these steps:

  1. Go to our Online Record Index.
  2. If you have an Auditor File Number:
    1. Enter it in the "Auditor File Number" field at top left of the search screen. The results will show the indexed information only. Would you like to request a copy of the full document? You can find out how to request a copy from our office by reading the answer to "How do I request copies of recorded documents?" (Question 5, above).
  3. If you don't have an Auditor File Number:
    1. You can search by party's name on the easement, if you have this information.
    2. Occasionally, deeds of the benefited or burdened properties will reference an easement. You can search deeds by name or parcel number, then request a copy of the full document. You can find out how to request a copy from our office by reading the answer to "How do I request copies of recorded documents?" (Question 5, above).
    3. Look for any recorded maps that create an easement or reference the easement by Auditor File Number. Request a copy of the full document of the referenced document. You can find out how to request a copy from our office by reading the answer to "How do I request copies of recorded documents?" (Question 5, above).
    4. If any of these options don't work, contact a title company directly.
How do I find a map or survey?

​You can view maps on our Online Record Index. Follow these steps to find a map or survey:

  1. If you have an Auditor File Number (or Volume and Page):
    1. Enter the Auditor File Number or Volume and Page (not both) into the correct field at the top of the search screen. The results of the search will give you the document type and indexed information. To view the map, select "view image" on the right hand side of the screen.
  2. If you don't have an Auditor File Number or Volume and Page:
    1. If the map is a named map (i.e. "Capital Place"), you can search by the Plat Name in the Grantor field.
    2. If the map is a numbered plat (Boundary Line Adjustment, Short Subdivision, Large Lot Subdivision or NPS), you can search the Map Case # field with the map number. For example, enter "SS15102347TC" in the field if you would like to search for Short Subdivision SS-15102347TC.
    3. If you would like to find a survey, search the person's name who requested the survey or search the section township and range for all surveys. You can narrow your search by selecting "survey" as the document type and entering the quarter or quarter/quarter if you know it.
How do I search for Notices of Trustee Sales (bank foreclosures)?

​You can find Notices of Trustee Sales on our website through our Public Record Index Online. From the online index, follow these steps to see Notices of Trustee Sales:

  1. Click "agree" on the disclaimer page.
  2. Click "Public Log In."
  3. Uncheck the box marked "All Types" and select "Notice of Trustee Sale" from the drop-down list.
  4. Notices of Trustee Sales are typically recorded 90 days before the sale takes place. Most customers choose to set their starting search date back 90 days with today's date as the end date.
  5. Click "search," once you've entered your search criteria. This will pull up a list of documents that match your search.
  6. When you see a record you would like to view, click on the recording number hyperlink.
  7. To view the document itself, click on the link to the left that says "view attachment."
  8. You can use the "find related documents" field to get indexed information for the original deed of trust or to see if a Discontinuance of Notice of Trustee Sale is on record.
  9. Within most Notice of Trustee Sale documents, you will find a phone number for the trustee. You can call this phone number with specific questions about the sale.
  10. If you still have questions, you can always contact our office by phone at 360.786.5405.
Does your office help with genealogy research?

​Customers occasionally search their genealogical history in our office's public records. Our staff can assist you on-site by teaching you how to search for records and provide guidance when needed. If we don't have a digital image of the document you're looking for, we will most likely have it on microfilm.

You can also find records at the Thurston County Public Health & Social Services Department.  Customers can order copies of all Washington State birth and death records from July 1907 to present.

 The Washington State Department of Health (DOH), Center for Health Statistics has marriage, divorce, birth and death records for the following time periods:

  • Marriage & Divorce: 1968 to present
  • Birth & Death: 1907 to present
  • Please contact DOH for more information.

 If you don't know the county where the birth, death or marriage application was filed or recorded, you will need to contact each county directly if the event took place before the state has records.

​Deeds and Titles
How do I change the title/deed to my house?

The Auditor's Office can't offer legal advice. If you would like to add, change or remove names from your deed and are unfamiliar with the necessary steps to take, you can contact a real estate attorney or title company.  If you are looking for blank forms, you can try an office supply store or title company.

I paid off my house, what do I do next?

When you pay off your home, you don't get the title for it like you do with a car. Instead, each time you pay off a loan, whether at the end of a 30-year mortgage or when refinancing your home, your bank will record a type of Reconveyance. A Reconveyance shows you have satisfied a specific loan. If your bank doesn't provide you with a Reconveyance, we can get you a copy. You can find out how to request a copy from our office by reading the answer to "How do I request copies of recorded documents?" (Question 5, above).

What if my spouse has passed away?

​If your spouse or someone on your deed has passed away, please contact an attorney to find out if you need to make any changes to your deed. If they tell you to record documents with our office, please get clear direction on what they want you to record and make sure you have completed documents prior to coming to our office for recording.

​Document Recording Requirements
Why did you reject my documents?
When we review documents for recording, we check them against state law (RCWs) and state rules (WACs). If you need to know why we rejected a document, please call us and we will explain our decision.
Where can I find state laws (RCWs) related to document recording?

​Duties of County Auditor: 65.04 RCW

Fees of County: 36.18 RCW

County Auditor: 36.22 RCW

What are the requirements for obtaining a marriage license?

​You can learn about the requirements here.

What if I can’t apply for a marriage license in-person?

​If one or both parties to the marriage cannot apply in-person at the Auditor's Office, see steps 3 and 4 in the "Marriage Application Steps" on our Marriage License page.

How much does it cost to apply for a marriage license?


Can you explain the three-day waiting period?

​State law requires three days between the date our office records a marriage application and when you get married (RCW 26.04.180). For example, if you apply on Wednesday, you can get married on Saturday.

Is the marriage license fee refundable?


Does a marriage ceremony need to be performed a certain way?

​State law (RCW 26.04.070) requires the people getting married to say they will take each other as spouses in the presence of:

  • An official with any religious organization OR a judicial officer; and
  • At least two attending witnesses.
Does Washington State allow proxy marriages?
Who can perform (“officiate”) a marriage ceremony?

​State law (RCW 26.04.050) says who can perform marriage ceremonies. The following people, active or retired, can perform marriage ceremonies:

  • Judges of the Supreme Court, Court of Appeals, Superior Court, District Court, Municipal Court and other courts of limited jurisdiction (RCW 3.02.020).
  • Commissioners of the Supreme Court, Court of Appeals and Superior Court.
  • Licensed or ordained official of any religious organization.

Washington State does not license officials of any religious organization. Officials of religious organizations from any state may perform ceremonies. Couples may not officiate their own wedding.

Are marriage records public records?

​All marriage records are public records. The one exception is if one or both people are enrolled in the Washington State Address Confidentiality Program (ACP). If you are enrolled in ACP, please contact our office to schedule a time to apply for your marriage application.

Once we record a marriage application or certificate, it cannot be removed from our records.

​Reserve a Map Name
How do I reserve a map name?

​Property owners assigning a name to subdivided property must reserve a name for the property with the Auditor's Office. State law (RCW 65.04.050) requires this so no two subdivisions have the same or similar name.

Our office must approve the subdivision name even if the city or county has approved the name, since subdivisions may not have the same name within a county, not just a single city or town. You can check on the availability of the name you want by visiting our Public Record Index Online to see if any maps have been recorded using your desired name.

To reserve a map name, fill out the Plat Name Reservation Form (PDF/Word). Return the completed form by fax, 360.786.5223, or mail or deliver it to:

Thurston County Auditor

Attn: Plat Name Reservation

2000 Lakeridge Dr. SW

Olympia, WA 98502

 After you submit the form, our office will evaluate the name. Once we approve your name, our office will issue a Plat Name Reservation Certificate. The certificate is valid for one year from the approval date and you must include it with the map when submitting for recording. Please allow two weeks for the approval process. If your project extends beyond the expiration date, please renew your name to get a new certificate. If we don't approve your name, we will contact you with an explanation and to go over your options.