Citizens are encouraged to run for local elected office.
OLYMPIA – A special three-day filing period will be held Wednesday, August 14 through Friday, August 16 to allow citizens to run for elected office for positions without candidates. Open positions include:
- School Board Director, Rochester School District No. 401, Director District No. 3
- Commissioner, West Thurston Regional Fire (Rochester), Position No. 1
- Commissioner, Tanglewilde Parks & Recreation, District No. 1, Positions No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4
These positions have no filing fee. Mail applications will be accepted beginning August 2.
Candidates may file beginning Wednesday, August 14:
- Online: 9:00 a.m. at ThurstonVotes.org
- By fax/email: 8:00 a.m. - 360.786.5223 or email@example.com
- In person: 8:00 a.m.
Thurston County Courthouse
2000 Lakeridge Dr SW, Building 1, Room 118
Olympia, WA 98502
All candidate filings must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, August 16. A lot draw for order of candidates on the general ballot will be held shortly after 4:30 p.m. The public is invited to observe.
"This special three-day filing period is a second chance for citizens to run for elected office," said Thurston County Auditor Mary Hall. "These local elected positions are important. People have another opportunity to make a difference in their community."