About the Council
The Regional Housing Council (RHC) was created with the primary purpose to leverage resources and partnerships through policies and projects promoting equitable access to safe and affordable housing in Thurston County. The RHC will consider issues specifically related to funding a regional response to homelessness and affordable housing and how to better coordinate existing funding programs to implement the county's Five-Year Homeless Crisis Response Plan
and increase affordable housing options.
Thurston County and the cities of Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater, and Yelm formally adopted an interlocal agreement
to formalize the RHC in February 2021. An elected official from each jurisdiction, supported by a designated alternate, serves as the voting member to the RHC. Senior leaders from jurisdictions as well as technical staff from the jurisdictions support the RHC.
The RHC’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Making recommendations to regional elected and appointed leaders on funding decisions related to implementing the HCRP and expanding shelter and affordable housing.
- Establishing an annual RHC work plan along with an annual budget.
- Submitting an annual report to the governing body of each jurisdiction.
The RHC may also:
- Monitor the HCRP and support actions necessary to implement the plan.
- Identify and support projects, programs, and policies to increase shelter and affordable housing through the region.
- Identify and support projects, programs, and policies to further the objectives of the HCRP and reduce the number of unsheltered individuals living in the region.
- Identify and support construction and operation of supportive housing in the region.
- Serve as a regional forum for developing and implementing policies, programs, and projects related to homelessness and affordable housing.
- Develop communication protocols to assist local elected officials and the community in understanding the extent and nature of the homeless and housing crisis in the region.
The RHC meets twice a month:
Due to COVID-19 restrictions and guidance, all meetings are currently conducted remotely.
- The public may view the meeting on Zoom at the zoom links listed above for the second or fourth Wednesday.
- Or, listen to the meeting by dialing toll-free 888-788-0099
- Second Wednesday meeting ID 842 9831 2208
- Fourth Wednesday meeting ID 861 969 28529
The RHC encourages public participation and public comment. To provide comment during the RHC meeting, please register in advance at the registration zoom links listed above for the second or fourth Wednesday.