Board of Health Expansion
On April 19, 2022, the Thurston County Board of Commissioners (BoCC) voted unanimously to expand the Board of Health (BoH) from three members to eight members. The expansion of the Board of Health was adopted to comply with the new law enacted by House Bill 1152
, which calls for the establishment of comprehensive public health districts across the state.
The expanded board will consist of a total of eight members:
- The three members of the Board of County Commissioners
- An elected city official as appointed by the city for a two-year term on a rotating basis in the following order; Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater, and Yelm
- A tribal representative as selected by the American Indian Health Commission
- One member representing public health, health care facilities, and providers
- One member representing consumers of public health
- One member representing other community stakeholders
This expansion allows for a community-based approach in setting public health policy. The BoCC believes the expanded BoH will increase community representation to help address public health disparities in Thurston County.
The members of the board shall recive no compensation or reimbursement of expenses for the performance of their duties.
How to Apply
Submit a completed application, along with a one-page cover letter addressing which position you are applying for and how you meet the criteria, to the Board of Health, Clerk of the Board, Jamie Caldwell at Jamie.Caldwell@co.thurston.wa.us.