Lacey, Olympia & Tumwater Joint Plans
Lacey Joint Plan Public Hearing
November 7, 2023, Thurston County Board of Commissioners held a joint public hearing on the Lacey Joint Plan update. The update includes new formatting, goals and policies, as well as three site-specific rezone amendments and an urban growth area expansion. Final action on the comprehensive Plan, which includes the Lacey Joint Plan, will occur on November 28, 2023.
Joint Plans outline land-use and development policies in the urban growth areas (UGAs) of Lacey, Olympia and Tumwater (and also Rainier, Tenino & Yelm). Urban growth areas are unincorporated parts of the county that may be annexed by a city in the future. The joint plan is made with Thurston County and city governments working together. This leads to regulations that make future development more predictable for citizens who live in those areas, and smoother when annexation occurs. Joint plans are part of the county's Comprehensive Plan, and are updated regularly.
Have a look at the proposed Lacey Joint Plan through this StoryMap and share feedback.
- Three site-specific rezone requests
- Proposed low-density residential zoning consolidation (LD 0-4 and LD 3-6 consolidated into LD 0-6)
- Fixes fifteen zoning boundaries that are out of alignment on the Lacey UGA map
- New calculations for population, housing and land inventory
- Integration of the goals and policies from the Martin Way Corridor Study
- New goals and policies for each element
August 23-Planning Commission work session
September 27-Planning Commission Public Hearing
October-Board of County Commissioners work session
November 7-Board of County Commissioners Public Hearing
- See the Olympia joint plan presentation story map to learn more.
- Plan includes
- A land use amendment for Glenmore Village subdivision. See the the Glenmore Village presentation storymap
- Fixes seven zoning boundaries that were out of alignment on the Olympia UGA map. See Attachment C below.
- New calculations for population, housing, land inventory.
- New goals & policies.
- Largely based on the Olympia Comprehensive Plan.
- Project timeline
- November/December 2023-Final Action
- August 1, 2023-BoCC Public Hearing
- January 25, 2023-Planning Commission recommendation to Board of County Commissioners.
- November 30, 2022 - Planning Commission Public Hearing.
- October/November 2022 - Planning Commission Work Sessions.
- City of Olympia Joint Plan Draft - 2023 Update (BoCC Final)
- April 19, 2023 - City Council recommendation letter
- January 25, 2023 - Planning Commission Memo
- Attachment A: Draft Olympia Joint Plan
- Attachment B: UGA Focus Area Maps
- Attachment C: Zoning Map Corrections
- Attachment D: Draft TCC 23.05
- Attachment E: Draft SEPA Environmental Checklist
- Official Zoning Map for Thurston County, Washington, North County UGA Zoning Map
- DNS and Environmental Checklist
- November 30, 2022 - Joint Public Hearing staff report
- October 26, 2022 - Planning Commission Memo
- October 11,2022 - Planning Commission Memo
- On November 30, 2021, the Board of County Commissioners voted 2-1 to repeal and replace the Tumwater Joint Plan.
- The plan was first adopted in 1995 with a minor update in 2009.
- Plan includes
- Five land-use zoning amendments and an amendment to the Airport Hazard Overlay.
Joint Plans are developed in collaboration with community members, city governments, and the county government. The process includes multiple opportunities for community input. Plans are separate documents within the Thurston County Comprehensive Plan, and also in Olympia, Tumwater, and Lacey Comprehensive Plans. They are reviewed by the City Planning Commission, the Thurston County Planning Commission, the City Council, and the Board of County Commissioners. The final adoption comes from Thurston's Board of County Commissioners, which adopts Joint Plans as part of the Thurston County Comprehensive Plan.
- Please open the Joint Plans comment form, to fill out and submit your comment about the county's joint plans for Lacey, Olympia or Tumwater.
- Want to receive occasional email updates about these projects? Subscribe to the Lacey, Olympia, and Tumwater Joint Plan email list.