In 1984, the Thurston County Board of County Commissioners created a 12 member board called the Thurston County Historic Commission. The Thurston County Historic Commission is responsible for promoting and conducting public information, education and interpretive programs pertaining to county history and county cultural resources. Their duties include:
- Identify and promote the preservation of historic resources (buildings, structures, objects, trees, and other unique natural features, sites and districts);
- Organize events, as approved by the Board of County Commissioners;
- Increase awareness of our national, state, and county heritage among citizens;
- Conduct a comprehensive inventory of historic properties with the county; periodically update the inventory;
- Review and comment on proposals to construct, change, alter, modify, remodel, remove, demolish or significantly affect properties or districts on the county historic register;
- Serve as the local review board for the purpose of approving applications for special property tax evaluation.
Contact Us: Sonja Cady, Land Use Clerk. Phone: 360-867-2117. Fax: 360-754-2939. TTY/TDD call 711 or 1-800-833-6388 Email: email@example.com.