Thurston County facilities are now open to the public with restrictions, including maintaining physical distancing of at least six feet at all times and, per the Washington State Secretary of Health’s face covering order wearing a cloth face covering or mask. If you come to county facilities, please be prepared for potentially long wait times or lines due to distancing guidelines. We continue to encourage residents to access county services online, by phone, by email, or through the use of drop boxes located outside of county buildings.
The availability of remote services vary by office and department.

Click here for office and department contact information
Click here for information on COVID-19

Comprehensive Plan Amendments – How to Propose a Change

**The information on this page is a general guide. Before filling out any applications, contact the Building Development Center with your project details to verify exactly which applications you'll need to supply. **

What is the Comprehensive Plan amendment process?

The Comprehensive Plan Amendment Process allows individuals, groups, and County departments to propose changes to the Thurston County Comprehensive Plan. The amendment process provides a way to address new considerations and changing conditions.

The Thurston County Comprehensive Plan sets the direction for accommodating and directing growth and development in the unincorporated portions of the county. The county’s zoning and development regulations are based on the policies set forth in the Comprehensive Plan.


Amendments to the Comprehensive Plan are typically considered on an annual basis.  Amendment applications are due by 5:00 p.m., November 15, 2020 in order to be considered for the 2021 Comprehensive Plan Amendment Docket.

Anyone may propose an amendment to the Comprehensive Plan, by filling out an application and paying an application fee. All proposed amendments are placed on a list called a Preliminary Docket. The Board of County Commissioners choose which proposals go on the Official Docket through the docketing process. Proposals that are placed on the Official Docket will receive thorough review by staff, Planning Commission, and the Board of County Commissioners. 

There is a separate process for proposing changes to the development code


There are three broad steps (each step is its own process) to adopt a Comprehensive Plan Amendment:

  1. Adding the Proposed Amendment to the Official Docket
  2. Reviewing the Proposed Amendment with the Planning Commission
  3. Reviewing the Proposed Amendment with the Board of County Commissioners

Each step begins after the previous step is completed.

I'm Ready to Apply:

Start Here: Building Development Center (New Page) 


Fill out an Application:     


Learn About the Process: The Complete Comprehensive Plan Amendment Process (PDF) 

See the Official  Comprehensive Plan Amendment Docket (New Page)