Thurston County has received requests to change the method and duration of extensions for the final approval of preliminary plats (subdivisions). These requests have been reflected in the Development Code Docket Item A-17 "Plat Extensions".
Section 18.12.150 of the Thurston County Code “Duration of approval” defines how preliminary plats (subdivisions) are submitted and approved. This includes the required criteria for approval and the amount of time available to meet the criteria. In certain situations, the County may grant extensions to preliminary plat projects, which extends the deadline for final plat approval. The proposed amendment would increase the maximum amount of years that could by granted through a County extension.
Current Preliminary Plat Process
- Preliminary plats are effective for five years from the date of approval.
- This may be extended for one year by the department subject to the following findings that the preliminary plat is:
- Consistent with the Comprehensive plan.
- Consistent with the applicable public health and safety standards.
- There is no emerging adverse environmental issues relevant to the project.
- Hearing examiner approval is required if the above findings cannot be made.
- Preliminary plats with more than 200 lots or units, and one half have received final plat approval, they may be granted up to five one year extensions if a final plat has been filed in each year.
- The hearings examiner may approve a preliminary plat with a provisional extended approval clause for up to ten years beyond the initial approval for a total of 15 years if it is a PRRD, has 400 or more residential units, part of a phased development. Subsequent approvals are by the department.
Where Are We in the Amendment Process?
Next Step: Hold a duly noticed Board of County Commissioners Public Hearing.
Planning Commission Public Hearing - October 16, 2019
A Planning Commission Public Hearing was held on Wednesday, October 16, 2019, at 7:00 p.m. at the Thurston County Courthouse, Building 1, Room 152, 2000 Lakeridge Drive, SW, Olympia. The Public Hearing was held to receive public comment on the proposed amendment.
Several documents were presented to the Planning Commission as part of the Public Hearing. Those documents are listed below.
Planning Commission Public Hearing Documents: