When the holidays wind down and the decorations get packed away, it's time to figure out what to do with the Christmas tree. Collection is handled differently by each jurisdiction in Thurston County. In the unincorporated areas, dumping trees in the roadway or stacking them up on a corner is considered illegal and violators can be subject to a hefty fine. In past years, some neighborhoods heaped trees at the entrance of their development. The stacks blocked the stop signs or school children had to walk out into the roadway in the early morning darkness to get around them. Please be safe, legal, and environmentally friendly with the below opportunities:
- All Thurston County residents: Trees are accepted Dec. 26 - Jan. 17 (except Jan. 1) from 7 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Waste and Recovery Center, 2420 Hogum Bay Road N.E., Lacey. There is no charge for residents but businesses and out-of-county customers must pay regular yard waste fees found HERE (http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/solidwaste/garbage/garbage-warc.html )
- LeMay organics/yard waste customers: Place your tree in the organics bin (no sections longer than 3 feet). Service is free for organics/yard waste customers. Residents who have not signed up for this service may also set out their trees for collection; however, the cost is $3.77 per section in Lacey-Olympia-Tumwater; $3.67 per section in Yelm; and $4.62 per section in Rainier.
- Lacey residents: Local Boy Scouts will provide curbside pick-up of holiday trees on Saturday, January 9 for residents within Lacey city limits. Trees must have all decorations removed and be placed curbside in front of homes by 8:00 a.m. For more information contact Lacey Public Affairs, 360-491-3214 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Olympia garbage customers: Place trees in your organics pickup location. Customers with Tuesday or Wednesday service should put trees out by 6 a.m. on Jan. 9. Those with Thursday or Friday service should place trees out by 6 a.m. on Jan. 16. Trees over 6' must be cut in half. If you have questions, contact Olympia Waste Resources at (360)753-8368.
- Rainier residents: Take to the Thurston County Drop Box at 13010 Rainier Acres Road from Dec. 26 - Jan. 16 (open Friday, Saturday and Sunday only from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
- Rochester residents: Take to the Thurston County Drop Box at 16500 Sargent Road from Dec. 26 - Jan. 17 (open Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday only from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
- Shelton: Bill McTurnal Enterprises at 721 Kamilche Lane accepts trees from Dec. 28 - Jan. 9 during daylight hours.
- Tenino residents: Take to 418 S. Wichman Street from Dec 25 - January 9.
- Tumwater residents: Place trees at the nearest street corner by 7 a.m. on Jan. 11. For more information, please call 360-754-4150.
- Yelm residents: Dumpsters for trees will be at the Yelm City Park at SR 507 and Mosman Ave starting Dec. 26 and will be available until full and picked up on Jan. 10.
For more information visit www.WhereDoITakeMy.org or contact Katherine Straus, Waste Reduction Specialist at 360-867-2282 or email@example.com. -30-