This year's Thurston County Fair has baking, canning, brewing, and bee-keeping for the whole herd! But you'll have to hurry-entries for many of this year's open class food contests are due during the week before the fair opens on Wednesday, August 3:
- Open Class Baking: 3-7 p.m. on Monday, August 1 - Enter your favorite yeast or quick breads, cakes, cookies, candies, or pies. Remember to also enter the daily baking contests listed below and get free admission with your tasty baked treats.
- Open Class Beverages: 3-7 p.m. on Monday, July 25 - Ales, beers, ciders, and wines are all welcome in the beverage contests. Check the 2016 Exhibitor's Guide for a complete list of categories.
- Open Class Preserved Foods: 3-7 p.m. on Monday, July 25, and Monday, August 1 - Enter your canned fruits and vegetables, pickles, sauces, jams and jellies, vinegars, meats, and dehydrated foods, plus many more preserved foods. Check the 2016 Exhibitor's Guide for a complete list of categories.
- Open Class Honey: 3-7 p.m. on Monday, August 1 ONLY - From Water White to Dark Amber and everything in between, test your cache of golden honey against the best in the South Sound in the open class honey contests. Honey entries will not be accepted with other preserved food entries on August 1.
All open class food entries are submitted at Heritage Hall at the county fairgrounds.
For all the best bakers with flour to spare, be sure to enter the Dessert of the Day contests during fair week held in the Expo center. Bakers who present their Dessert of the Day entry at the gate get free admission to the fair for the day!
- Thursday, August 4-Chocolate Cake Contest
- Friday, August 5-Cookie Contest
- Saturday, August 6-"Berry Best Pie" Contest sponsored by Spooner's Berry Farms
- Sunday, August 7-Cupcake Contest
All of the information and details you need to compete in open class food contests and hundreds of other open class and club contests are included in the 2016 Exhibitor's Guide. The guide also includes information on entry forms, camping, and this year's calendar of events from July 25, through August 7. Download the complete 2016 Exhibitor's Guide at www.ThurstonCountyFair.org/exhibitor_guide.htm
For more information on the 2016 Thurston County Fair Exhibitor's Guide, contest entry forms or other fair activities, contact the Thurston County Fair Office at (360) 786-5453 or visit www.ThurstonCountyFair.org
. "Go Quackers over the Thurston County Fair!"
Aug 3- Aug 7-30-