- The 2016 Thurston County Fair saw a total of 30,523 visitors for fun, food, animals, hobbies, and rides! Community participation in the Thurston County Fair has steadily grown in the last five years, making the Thurston County Fair one of the signature summer events in the South Sound region with a rich history that reaches back to 1871-before Washington was even a state.
"Our local fair continues to grow as we focus on local agriculture, businesses, and a commitment to the regions youth. The Thurston County Fair also is dedicated to providing a place for local businesses to directly connect with more than 30,000 folks during the five days of Fair," said Joshua Cummings, Thurston County's Economic Development. He said, "The animal entries continue to grow, local food vendors and business are increasing participation, and Savor South Sound continues to provide a taste of local beer, wine and cider as well as seafood donated by the Nisqually Tribe and prepared by WSU Extension's food program."
The fair is also a great way for kids to participate in raising and caring for animals, or learn about them as they walk through the barns. This year, more than 751 animals were entered to compete in various club and open class contests at the fair. This is an increase of more than 130 animals from last year's fair. Cummings said, "We appreciate the families that are raising and caring for animals. At the same time we are pleased to provide an opportunity for kids in the more populated area of our county to have easy access to experiencing farm animals and agriculture up close and personal, many for the first time."
2016 Thurston County Fair Attendance:
- Wed, August 3 attendance - 7,990 (7,900 in 2015 - 9,450 in 2014 - 9,300 in 2013 - 8,400 in 2012)
- Thu, August 4 attendance - 5,971 (5,150 in 2015 - 7,200 in 2014 - 6,500 in 2013 - 6,100 in 2012)
- Fri, August 5 attendance - 5,422 (3,900 in 2015 - 6,300 in 2014 - 5,000 in 2013 - 5,100 in 2012)
- Sat, August 6 attendance - 7,450 (5,200 in 2015 - 7,850 in 2014 - 6,800 in 2013 - 5,700 in 2012)
- Sun, August 7 attendance - 3,690 (4,100 in 2015 - 5,900 in 2014 - 5,750 in 2013 - 3,500 in 2012)
Other 2016 Thurston County Fair Highlights:
- The 30,523 fairgoers this year brought in an estimated $190,000 in gross revenue. Final expenses are still being paid, but the estimated net revenue will be more than $50,000.
- The 2016 annual Market Animal Sale brought in more than $102,000 - only the second time in the sales history to break $100,000. The Market Sale has benefited thousands of local 4-H and FFA youth over the years.
- Overall attendance in 2016 met the goal of 30,000. Four of the five days were great weather, clear with temperatures 70's and low 80's. Sunday rained and likely drove down attendance numbers, but it was still enough to get the Fair over the 30,000 mark.
- Winners for this year's Dessert of the Day contests include:
- RuChene Lake, 2016 winner of the Chocolate Cake Contest-Adult
- Tahlia Summers, 2016 winner of the Chocolate Cake Contest-Youth
- Kathi Pugh, 2016 winner of the Cookie Contest-Adult
- Grace Fuller, 2016 winner of the Cookie Contest-Youth
- Claire Laser, 2016 winner of the Cupcake Contest-Adult
- Tahlia Summers, 2016 winner of the Cupcake Contest-Youth
Since 2009, the Thurston County Fair has been working towards being a self-funded program of Thurston County government, with all of its operations paid for by the revenue from fair week, along with revenue from weddings, parties, business meetings and a whole host of other events that are held at the Thurston County Fairgrounds throughout the year. If you're planning a party, business meeting, event, or trade show, visit www.ThurstonCountyFair.org
to find the fairgrounds facility that's the perfect fit for your event.
Join us at the Thurston County Fairgrounds for the Holiday Bazaar on November 25 and 26, 2016, and for the 2017 Thurston County Fair August 2 - 6. For more details about these events, facility rentals, and other events and occasions at the Thurston County Fairgrounds, contact the Fair Office at (360) 786-5453 or visit www.ThurstonCountyFair.org
. "Go Quackers Over the Thurston County Fair!"-30-