OLYMPIA –The WasteMobile – a free household hazardous waste disposal station returns to its Olympia site at Westfield Shopping Center ("Capital Mall") on Friday, September 23, through Sunday, September 25. The WasteMobile will be open from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
The WasteMobile service is free to use. Accepted materials include: oil based paints and stains, glues, pesticides, thinners and solvents, car batteries, anti-freeze, motor oil and filters, cleaners, pool and hobby chemicals, fluorescent lights, adhesives, polishes, and other home-generated hazardous wastes. Words such as, "Caution," "Warning," "Danger," and "Poison" on a label indicate that a product is considered hazardous, precautions are needed for the safe use of this product, and it should not be disposed of in the trash.
The WasteMobile cannot accept materials such as: latex paint, medical wastes, explosives, ammunition, compressed gas cylinders, empty containers, or garbage. No business wastes or leaking containers can be accepted.
Follow these guidelines when you use the WasteMobile:
- Leave children and pets at home.
- Keep products in original containers; label if needed.
- Never mix products together.
- Make sure that items are well sealed, lids tight, and check for leaks. If a container is leaking, place it inside a secondary container such as a plastic tub or bucket (which can be returned to you).
- Transport products separately from vehicle passenger compartments.
- Do not bring containers larger than 5 gallons.
- Pack fluorescent tubes in original containers or wrapped in newspaper or plastic to prevent breakage while transporting. Breakage releases a small amount of mercury.
If you are not in the area of the WasteMobile or are unable to get the garage/basement/closets cleaned out by then, HazoHouse accepts your household hazardous materials at the Thurston County Waste and Recovery Center every Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday from 8 AM to 5 PM. HazoHouse is located at 2418 Hogum Bay Road in Lacey and there is no charge for residents to use this service.
For more information on the Wastemobile or HazoHouse, contact Thurston County 's Water and Waste Management Division at (360) 786-5494.