OLYMPIA – The Thurston County Board of Commissioners will hold a public hearing on Tuesday, July 17, at 5:30 p.m. to accept public testimony on proposed amendments to the Buildings and Construction Code (Title 14).
What: Public Hearing on Amendments to Buildings and Construction Code
When: Tuesday, July 17, 2018
Time: 5:30 p.m., or soon thereafter
Where: County Courthouse, Building One, Room 280 at 2000 Lakeridge Drive SW in Olympia, 98502
You can view more detailed information about the proposal and the full text of the proposed ordinance on the Thurston Community Planning and Economic Development Services website.
Thurston County is proposing to amend the Buildings and Construction regulations to make changes to requirements, remove unnecessary permit requirements, for clarification of language, and other minor clerical amendments.
In Summary, the proposed amendments include
- Increasing the size for exempt residential storage buildings in the rural county from 200 square feet to 400 square feet subject to further limits such as one story, heated only for freeze protection, and limited storage.
- The amendments will also exempt exterior siding replacement, same-size window and door replacement requiring no framing modifications, solar panels, and replacement of electric forced air heating units and electric water heaters.
- The expiration time for building permits will be extended from 180 days to one year, and extended the time for purchasing an approved plan to one year.
- Amendments to the fire code include clarification of standards, and allowing an administrative waiver for fire flow where the occupancy is no more hazardous that the existing occupancy.
- Amendments to Chapter 14.38 Development in Special Flood Hazard Areas that are necessary to retain the current Federal Emergency Management Agency, Community Ratings System Class 2 rating. Amendments include clarifying the two foot elevation requirement as "freeboard," clarify the use of fill in the Special Flood Hazard Area to ensure consistency with other codes, and other amendments.
The public may submit written comments in lieu of testimony at the hearing. Written comments can be emailed to Jeremy Davis, Senior Planner, at email@example.com, hand delivered, or mailed to:
Thurston County Community Planning and Economic Development
ATTN: Jeremy Davis
Thurston County Courthouse, Building One
2000 Lakeridge Drive SW
Olympia, WA 98502
The deadline for written comments is 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 17, 2018. County Commissioners may choose to approve the Ordinance at the end of the July 17, public hearing, or they may request that staff make changes to the proposal following the public hearing and adopt at a subsequent County Commissioners meeting.
Disability Accommodations: Room 280 is equipped with an assistive listening system and is wheelchair accessible. To request disability accommodations call the Reasonable Accommodation Coordinator at least three days prior to the meeting at 360-786-5440. Persons with speech or hearing disabilities may call via Washington Relay: 711 or 800-833-6388.