OLYMPIA - This year’s Thurston County Fair has baking, canning, brewing, and bee-keeping for the whole herd! But you’ll have to hurry—entries for many of this year’s open class food contests are due during the week before the fair opens:
- Open Class Baking: 3-7:00 p.m. on Monday, July 30 - Enter your favorite yeast or quick breads, cakes, cookies, candies, or pies. Remember to also enter the daily baking contests listed below and get free admission with your tasty baked treats.
- Open Class Beverages: 3-7:00 p.m. on Monday, July 23 - Ales, beers, ciders, and wines are all welcome in the beverage contests. Check the 2018 Exhibitor’s Guide for a complete list of categories.
- Open Class Preserved Foods: 3-7:00 p.m. on Monday, July 23 and Monday, July 30 - Enter your canned fruits and vegetables, pickles, sauces, jams and jellies, vinegars, meats, and dehydrated foods, plus many more preserved foods. Check the 2018 Exhibitor’s Guide for a complete list of categories.
- Open Class Honey: 3-7:00 p.m. on Monday, July 30 ONLY - From Water White to Dark Amber and everything in between, test your cache of golden honey against the best in the South Sound in the open class honey contests. Honey entries will not be accepted with other preserved food entries on July 23.
Participants can submit all open class food entries at Heritage Hall at the County Fairgrounds.
For all the best bakers with flour to spare, be sure to enter the Dessert of the Day contests during fair week. Bakers who present their Dessert of the Day entry at the gate get free admission to the fair for the day!
- Thursday, August 2—Chocolate Cake Contest
- Friday, August 3—Cookie Contest
- Saturday, August 4—“Berry Best Pie” Contest sponsored by Spooner’s Berry Farms
- Sunday, August 5—Cupcake Contest
Participants can find all of the information and details to compete in open class food contests and hundreds of other open class and club contests in the 2018 Exhibitor's Guide
. The guide also includes information on entry forms, camping, and this year’s calendar of events from July 23 through August 5. Download the complete 2018 Exhibitor’s Guide at www.ThurstonCountyFair.org/exhibitor_guide.htm
“Have an ‘Egg-citing’ time at the Thurston County Fair!”
Aug 1- Aug. 5