In 2008, the Thurston County Board of Commissioners passed a 1/10 of one percent sales tax ordinance to increase funds available for mental health and chemical dependency services and therapeutic courts. By enacting a "Treatment Sales Tax" (TST), the County has been able to enhance funding for prevention, diversion and intervention services that have helped contain the growth of the jail population and maintain, create or enhance services for individuals who are mentally ill, chemically dependent or who have co-occurring disorders. For services offered in 2010 and 2011 the county was able to realize an $18.5 million return on investment.
In May 2012, Commissioners approved release of $100,000 for community grants. Using the Guiding Principles of the Treatment Sales Tax
, it is believed that local services and programs can be maintained, created or enhanced with this one-time grant opportunity.TREATMENT SALES TAX GUIDING PRINCIPLES
Support services or programs that:
- Address a substantiated community need.
- Achieve outcomes through evidence-based or promising practices.
- Achieve a cost-benefit or return-on-investment.
- Leverage other efforts or resources in the county.
- Sustain basic levels of service and infrastructure.
- Meet the intent of RCW 82.14.460 and Thurston County Ordinance 14138. (Prevention, diversion and intervention services for individuals who face mental health and/or substance abuse challenges.)
Under the Request for Proposals (RFP), Commissioners will consider any project that qualifies for TST funding and eligibility. There is a preference for services or programs that focus on prevention and/or early intervention of substance abuse (alcohol or drugs) and mental health issues. Of particular interest are services or programs that directly serve Thurston County youth (birth through 19 years old).The RFP is posted at
http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/treatment-tax/index.htmProposals are due by June 29, 2012. Contact information:
Barbara Burgener TST Program Manager
Thurston County Commissioners' Office
2000 Lakeridge Dr SW Olympia, WA 98502
PH 360-867-2092 FX 360-786-5140