Last summer at various locations throughout Thurston County, a group of Zumba enthusiasts were seen around town getting a good workout while having fun. This summer marks the return of the group who now call themselves ZIPpers (short for Zumba in the Park people).
Thurston County's public health staff and the Healthy Child Weight Coalition invite people of all ages to spice up their summer Saturdays with Latin rhythms at free Zumba flash mob dances throughout Olympia.
"Absolutely everyone of all ages is invited to join us and find out just how much fun it is to get on your feet and get moving to the music," said Dr. Diana Yu, Health Officer for Thurston County and Latin dance aficionado.
Zumba in the Park Olympia Lacey (like us on Facebook) will be at different venues each Saturday from 1:30 - 3 pm. No previous dance experience is needed, and children and adults of all ages and abilities are invited to participate. Dances will be led by certified local Zumba instructors who are volunteering their time.
The dances are part of the county's 7-5-2-1-0 Power in Numbers campaign to encourage families to follow some simple steps based on the numbers to stay healthy and prevent chronic illness:
- 7 - Eat breakfast every day, 7 days a week.
- 5 - Eat fruits and vegetables at least 5 or more times daily.
- 2 - Limit screen time unrelated to school to 2 hours or less daily.
- 1 - Get 1 hour or more of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day.
- 0 - Drink less sugar. Try water and low-fat milk instead of sugar-sweetened drinks.
The county's 7-5-2-1-0 Power in Numbers program is part of a nationwide movement to combat childhood obesity. Local programs like 7-5-2-1-0 Power in Numbers and the national www.letsmove.gov campaign, sponsored by First Lady Michelle Obama, encourage healthy lifestyle and food choices along with more physical activity for children.
"We really want to encourage families to come and dance at these events. You don't need a partner, you don't need experience. Whether it's salsa, rumba, cha-cha or samba, you just need to move your feet," said Dr. Yu. "Our goal is to show parents and kids that getting an hour of exercise each day can be easy and a whole lot of fun to boot."
For more information about the free Zumba dances each Saturday this summer, visit www.75210.org and click on Events and Announcements. You can find the county's 7-5-2-1-0 Power in Numbers campaign on Facebook at www.facebook.com/75210.org.
WHAT: Zumba in the Park Olympia Lacey Free Zumba flash mob dances for all ages
WHEN: Saturdays 1:30 - 3 PM
- June 8: Outside Children's Museum, 414 Jefferson, Olympia
- June 15: Near Harbor House at Percival Landing on Olympia waterfront 217 Thurston Ave
- June 29: In front of Tivoli Fountain at Capitol Campus
- July and August: In the gazebo at Rainier Vista Park 5475 45th Ave SE,Lacey