OLYMPIA – Thurston County residents are invited to a “Map Your Neighborhood” training on Thursday, February 25 from 6:00-8:00 p.m. at the East Olympia Fire District #6, 8047 Normandy SE, East Olympia. Map Your Neighborhood is a program designed to help residents prepare for disasters and is offered through the Thurston County Emergency Management Office.
- Learn the nine steps to take immediately following a disaster.
- Identify the skills and equipment inventory each neighbor has that are useful in an effective disaster response.
- Create a Neighborhood map identifying locations of natural gas and propane tanks and identifying those neighbors with specific needs.
- Work together as a team to evaluate your neighborhood after a disaster and take the necessary actions.
- Start a neighborhood group by attending a two-hour train-the-trainer session, which provides important information on how to effectively facilitate a neighborhood meeting, details the steps to take following a disaster, and provides answers to questions or concerns.
- Once trained, participants may order program materials through the Thurston County Emergency Management Office. These materials include the Map Your Neighborhood Handout Shingle, a Discussion Guide, CD and DVD which contain forms, resources and information.
- After facilitating a Map Your Neighborhood team, participants can fill out the MYN postcard and send it to the Thurston County Emergency Management Office. This allows tracking and evaluation of the teams and the program.
The class is open to all community members. No registration necessary. Details are available by calling (360) 786-5243 and on the web at www.co.thurston.wa.us/em