Property Tax Foreclosure Auction Facts
- The Thurston County Treasurer conducts a property tax foreclosure auction pursuant to RCW 84.64. Property whose delinquent taxes are not redeemed prior to the sale date are sold at a public auction held once a year in January. The date for this year’s internet-based foreclosure auction will be January 7, 8, & 9, 2019. The foreclosure sale may reopen as a reoffer sale if all properties are not sold.
- The first public notice is published in the Nisqually Valley News, a local newspaper, on Friday, August 31, 2018. If you would like a copy of this notice send a self-addressed stamped envelope around that time or. We do not maintain a mailing list.
- The final notice will be published Friday, January 4, 2019 on the Thurston County Treasurer's web site. This list will include the opening bid amounts.
- A current list of properties in foreclosure will be available and maintained in the Treasurer’s Office and on our web site after September 17, 2018. The list is updated weekly.
- An open internet based auction is facilitated by Bid4Assets; the property is awarded to the highest bidder. The web site will be available for public viewing beginning November 16, 2018. All sales are final. Property is sold "as is". Research thoroughly before you bid. Purchasers are urged to examine property title, location and desirability prior to bidding. Recorded easements are not extinguished by a tax sale. The winning bidder must pay via wire transfer or in person in the form of cash or cashier's check. Payment must be received by Friday, January 11, 2019 - see schedule on bid4assets website. Thurston County does not finance.
- A representative may purchase property provided they register at the foreclosure auction web site along with all auction bidders.
- Approximately 10 to 50 properties go to sale each year.
- Properties are sold free and clear of all liens and encumbrances except Internal Revenue Service liens and Municipal liens such as Local Improvement District Assessment liens.
- A tax deed is issued within 30 days of the close of the auction in the name of the purchaser.
- There is no right of redemption period except if the property were that of an active military service member or a minor or any person adjudicated to be legally incompetent. In this case the property may be redeemed within three years.
- Properties that do not sell at the foreclosure sale revert back to the county and are handled by:
Melanie Rabaglia, Public Works Real Estate Services
Email Melanie or
9605 Tilley Rd S Suite C, Olympia, WA 98512
* All schedule dates are subject to change