Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

The content on the Thurston County website is currently provided in English. We are providing the “Translation” for approximately 10 languages. The goal of the translation is to provide visitors with limited English proficiency to access information on the website in other languages. The translations do not translate all types of documents, and it may not give you an exact translation all the time. The translations are made through an automated process, which may not result in accurate or precise translations, particularly of technical and legal terminology.

Elevation Certificates



When applying for a building permit in a Special Flood Hazard Area, applicants are required to provide an pre-construction elevation certificate that confirms the vertical height requirement for flood protection.

Flood elevation certificates are forms designed by FEMA and completed by licensed surveyors or engineers. They show precisely where your home is (or will be) located in relationship to the Base Flood Elevation. After construction is complete, a new elevation certificate is required. 

Please remember: Property owners are, in effect, only able to build new structures in Special Flood Hazard Areas if they get a Reasonable Use Exception or in the case of a natural disaster or accident. Please click here to learn more.

Elevation certificates are also used:

  • By insurance agents and insurance companies to determine the proper flood insurance premium rates for individuals and businesses purchasing flood insurance polices through the National Flood Insurance Program.
  • By property owners to support a request to FEMA for a Letter Of Map Revision (LOMR) to remove a home or building from a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). Click here for more information.
  • By federally regulated lending institutions, and their flood zone determination vendors, to correct geographic errors made during the standard flood zone determination process.

Where to Get Elevation Certificates

First, check to see whether Thurston County already has an elevation certificate on file for your property. You can either visit the Thurston County Building Development Center Contact Page or call Tim Rubert at 867-2123 or find it on-line.  For on-line information you'll need your parcel number. If you don't know your parcel number go to the Thurston County GeoData website.  When you have your parcel number go to the Permit Assistance Center website click on Search Permit Archives icon.  Type in your parcel number and if there are any elevation certificates it will be listed. If Thurston County does not have an elevation certificate on file for your property, you will need to hire a professional surveyor.

If You Have Questions on Your Flood Designation

If you have questions about your flood designation, please contact Tim Rubert at 867-2123 or e-mail