New State Law for Domestic-Use Wells
Washington State Law determines how Thurston County processes residential building permit applications that rely on wells exempt from state permitting.
Residential Building Permits Affected
Washington state's Department of Ecology (DOE) rules affect applications for single-family homes, manufactured home placement, including family member units, and accessory dwelling units that intend to rely on a permit-exempt well for domestic use. Domestic uses mean water used inside the home, or to water a small lawn or garden. The rules for other types of water sources, such as agricultural and industrial wells or connections to a municipal water system, have not changed.  

The New Requirements 
New applications for these specific types of permits require a $500 fee ($350 of which is sent to the State Department of Ecology-DOE), completion of a new form, and will be subject to specific rules for the water area in which the parcel is located. 

Find Your Water Area  |  New Required Form (PDF)   |  DOE Details & DOE background regarding the law  |  FAQs  |   County Permit Department