Questions and inquiries regarding News Release content should be directed to the Thurston County Public Information Officer:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Monday, September 30, 2019
Toxic Algae Health Warning in Effect for Pattison Lake
Toxin levels are above the threshold for health concern
OLYMPIA – Pattison Lake has a toxic algae bloom. Lab results received today show that the algae bloom is producing unsafe levels of microcystin. Reports show toxin levels at the sample site are 6.4 ug/L. The state advisory level for microcystin is 6.0 ug/L. Staff will collect samples weekly until the algae bloom clears.
When an algae bloom is present, health officials recommend taking extra precautions to avoid the health risks posed by potential toxins.
- Do not drink the lake water
- Avoid contact with water containing algae
- Do not swim or water ski in areas with algae
- Keep pets and livestock away from where algae blooms are present
- Do not eat fish that come from the lake during an algae bloom
- Avoid areas of scum when boating
For more information about toxic algae blooms and health risks, visit: www.nwtoxicalgae.org
or call 360-867-2626.