Thurston County residents are invited to a "Map Your Neighborhood" training on Tuesday, May 22 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Thurston County Emergency Management office, 9521 Tilley Road SW, Olympia. The Map Your Neighborhood program is designed to help residents prepare for disasters.
- Learn the nine steps to take immediately following a disaster.
- Identify skills and equipment each neighbor has that are useful in an effective disaster response.
- Create a neighborhood map identifying locations of natural gas and propane tanks and identifying those neighbors with specific needs.
- Work together as a team to evaluate your neighborhood after a disaster and take necessary actions.
- Start a neighborhood group by attending this two-hour, train-the-trainer session, which provides important information on how to effectively facilitate a neighborhood meeting, details the steps to take following a disaster, and provides answers to questions or concerns.
- Once trained, participants may order materials through the county’s Emergency Management office. Program materials include the Map Your Neighborhood Handout Shingle, Discussion Guide, and CD and DVD which contain forms, resources and information.
- After facilitating a Map Your Neighborhood team, participants can fill out the MYN postcard and send it to the Thurston County Emergency Management Office. This allows tracking and evaluation of the teams and the program.
The class is open to all community members. No registration necessary. Details are available at (360) 867-2825, firstname.lastname@example.org and at www.co.thurston.wa.us/em