Thurston County's public health staff and the Healthy Child Weight Coalition invite dancers of all ages to spice up their August Saturdays with summer sun and Latin rhythms at free Zumba flash mob dances throughout Olympia.
"Absolutely everyone of all ages is invited to join us and find out just how much fun it is to get on your feet and get moving to the music," said Dr. Diana Yu, Health Officer for Thurston County and Latin dance aficionado.
The "Zizzling Zummer Zumba 4 FamileeZ" will be at a different Olympia area park each Saturday in August. No previous dance experience is needed, and children and adults of all ages and abilities are invited to participate. Dances will be lead by Rhoa Rafeh and other certified local Zumba instructors who are volunteering their time.
The dances are part of the county's 7-5-2-1-0 Power in Numbers campaign that encourages families to follow some simple steps based on the numbers to stay healthy and prevent chronic illness:7
- Eat breakfast every day, 7 days a week.5
- Eat fruits and vegetables at least 5 or more times on most days. 2
- Limit screen time unrelated to school to 2 hours or less daily. 1
- Get 1 hour or more of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day. 0
- Drink less sugar. Try water and low-fat milk instead of sugar-sweetened drinks.
The county's 7-5-2-1-0 Power in Numbers program is part of a movement occurring nationwide to combat childhood obesity. Local programs like 7-5-2-1-0 Power in Numbers and the national www.letsmove.gov campaign sponsored by First Lady Michelle Obama encourage healthy lifestyle and food choices along with more physical activity for children.
"We really want to encourage families to come and dance at these events. You don't need a partner, you don't need experience. Whether it's salsa, rumba, cha-cha or samba, you just need to move your feet," said Dr. Yu. "Our goal is to show parents and kids that getting an hour of exercise each day can be easy and a whole lot of fun to boot."
For more information about the free Zumba dances each Saturday in August, visit www.75210.org
and click on Events and Announcements. You can find the county's 7-5-2-1-0 Power in Numbers campaign on Facebook at www.facebook.com/75210.org
. WHAT: "Zizzling Zummer Zumba 4 FamileeZ"
-- Free Zumba flash mob dances for all agesWHEN:Saturdays in August
WHERE:Locations throughout Olympia
- August 4, 11 and 18, 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- August 25 at Sand in the City, 12:45 - 1 p.m. and 2:45 - 3 p.m.
- Aug. 4 - LBA Park at 3333 Morse-Merryman Road SE
- Aug. 11 - outside Harbor House at Percival Landing at 217 Thurston Ave NW
- Aug 18 - Tivoli Fountain on Capitol Campus West at the 1200 block of Capitol Way S
- Aug 25 - Hands On Children's Museum Sand in the City event at the corner of Jefferson Street and Olympia Avenue