This year's Thurston County Fair is chock full of sights, sounds and tastes to please the whole family, with lots of new events and attractions to keep you coming back for more laughter and ladybugs from Wednesday, July 31 through Sunday, August 4. Savor South Sound beverage tastings
New at the fair this year is the Savor South Sound beverage tasting event, featuring dozens of delectable Northwest drinks. Savor South Sound will feature five cideries on Thursday, August 1, eight breweries on Friday, August 2 and four wineries on Saturday, August 3. Tastings will run from 3-9 p.m. each day in the Heritage Hall Annex. Patrons must be 21 or over to enter the event. Don't wait!--get $2 off advance tickets at http://SavorSouthSound.bpt.me
. Fair admission is included in the ticket price, and each taster receives a commemorative tasting glass.Live & Local concert series
If you are looking for even more reasons to visit the Fair this year, then consider the line-up of local entertainers that will be delighting crowds with their sizzling summer sounds all five days during the "Live & Local" music series. The Live & Local line-up features South Sound favorites like Artesian Rumble Arkestra and Minilla Smiles on Wednesday, Sour Owl on Thursday, The Brown Edition on Friday, plus a full slate on Saturday featuring Dennis Hastings, Scott and Dani, and rising country stars Aces Up, all playing on the Les Schwab Stage. The Live & Local series is closed out again this year with the KACS Sunday Concert at 4 p.m. featuring acclaimed Christian rockers Petra.
Other new events in 2013 include camel rides and kangaroos in front of Heritage Hall, a scavenger hunt game with cash prizes, and the new Kids Zone play area play area next to the parking lot entrance to the fairgrounds, featuring a little red schoolhouse, a sand box and the ABC Garden where each letter of the alphabet is represented by a plant.
There are also several fan favorites making a comeback this year at the fair, including:
- One Buck Wednesday is July 31. Admission is just $1 per person when you bring a non-perishable food donation for the Thurston County Food Bank. Tons of other $1 deals are featured inside the fair.
- Kid's Day and Buddy Day on Thursday, Aug. 1. Kids 14 and under pay just $2 for admission, and carnival armbands that get you unlimited carnival rides for the day are buy-one-get-one free for your buddy.
- Military Appreciation Day is Friday, Aug. 2. Active duty and retired military personnel and their families can get $2 admission to the fair with your military ID. Plus other military deals and exhibits featuring the National Guard, Marines, Navy, Army and Air Force.
- Author's Corner is back in the Sharp Building and will once again feature local authors selling books, greeting fans, and autographing everything from children-s books to crime dramas.
- The Antiques Appraisal event is back on Friday, Aug. 2 at 4 p.m. in Heritage Hall, when a professional appraiser will evaluate collectibles and antiques provided by local residents.
- Classic cars are on display Friday, Aug. 2, and Ford Mustangs will be on the green on Saturday, August 3.
- Join us for the Thurston County Commissioners' Annual Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, Aug. 3 from 8:30-10 a.m. Breakfast is free with fair admission at the gazebo on the east side of Heritage Hall.
- The annual Market Animal Sale will be in the Hick's Lake Barn on Saturday, Aug. 3 at 6 p.m.
- The annual 4-H Equine Western Games begin early at 8 a.m. on Sunday, Aug. 4.
- Join us for dog agility at 11 a.m. and herding demonstrations at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 4.
For more information about these events and other fair entertainment, go to www.co.thurston.wa.us/fair
and click on "Daily Events Calendar."
The last day to purchase discount carnival ride armbands is Tuesday, July 30. Visit www.co.thurston.wa.us/fair
and click on "Fair News" for more information about discount carnival armbands and locations.
To learn more about this year's events, entertainment and exhibits, contact the Thurston County Fair Office at (360) 786-5453 or visit www.co.thurston.wa.us/fair
."Laughter and Ladybugs at the Thurston County Fair!"
July 31 - Aug. 4, 2013