Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

Community Planning and Economic Development

How to Find Storm Drains, Ponds or Other Stormwater Facilities

Storm drains, pipes or ponds can look different from neighborhood to neighborhood, and many features are underground.


Do a Visual Search

If it's raining, watch where the water flows from your neighborhood road into a catch basin (the visible part of a catch basin is the drain or grate above it).  Catch basins either lead directly to a river or stream, or to a pond or natural area where water can slowly seep into the ground.


Call Our Office or Submit a Help Request

If you're not planning to dig, but need help finding your storm drains, pipes or other features, submit our online formemail us or call us at 360-867-2088. We'll come out and do a walk through with you to help you locate and mark your storm drains, pipes or other stormwater facilities and features.


Only Call 811 if You're Planning to Dig

Call 811 before you dig. All utilities will be located and marked, including power, phone, gas and water. You can also submit a request online using the Washington Utilities Notification website for homeowners (click on "homeowners" button on top right of page) or for contractors.

Types of Storm Drains (LINK |  How to Identify Stormwater Facilities and Keep them Working (PDF)