Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

Medic One

AED / PAD Authorization

​Have you purchased a (Semi)Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) aka Public Access Defibrillator (PAD) for your business or facility?

State law RCW 70.54.310 authorizes the placement and use of an AED machine (also referred to as a Public Access Defibrilator – PAD) and grants civil liability immunity provided certain requirements are met.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers defibrillators to be prescription devices pursuant to 21 CFR 801.109 and medical authorization is required.

We have a form for you to fill out to request authorization for your AED / PAD unit. Once you fill out the online form, our Medic One physician will sign the form authorizing your unit as a prescription. We will send you the signed form for your records.

Click here to access an overview document explaining all the details regarding your AED / PAD unit. 

We recommend a printed copy of the medical authorization and the overview document be placed inside your facilities AED / PAD unit for quick reference.

Our desire is to make this process as easy as possible in hopes that more of these machines will be placed in the community. If you have questions or need assistance with your PAD program, please call 360-704-2782 or email We will help direct you to the personnel that can best assist you with your concerns and/or questions.

Click here to fill out the online authorization form.