Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

The content on the Thurston County website is currently provided in English. We are providing the “Translation” for approximately 10 languages. The goal of the translation is to provide visitors with limited English proficiency to access information on the website in other languages. The translations do not translate all types of documents, and it may not give you an exact translation all the time. The translations are made through an automated process, which may not result in accurate or precise translations, particularly of technical and legal terminology.

Community Planning and Economic Development

Many projects require clearing, grading and the construction of driveways that connect to a county road (right-of-way).  This part of the permit process is managed by the county's Public Works Department. They require specific permits to do this work. And they inspect the construction site and the work as it progresses. The permit forms are located on the Applications & Forms web page, and are submitted to the building development center as part of a complete packet. Here's what to look for:

  • Fill & Grade Permit - needed if clearing 7,000+ square feet, excavating 50+ cubic yards.
  • Encroachment - the term used for adding a new driveway that will connect to a county road, and also for relocating an existing driveway that connects to a county road.
  • Right of Way Access -  the name of the application form you'll need if building a new driveway that connects the property to an unopened Thurston County right-of-way. An unopened right-of-way is a planned road that has not yet been constructed.

Contact Development Review division of Public Works for more information