Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

The content on the Thurston County website is currently provided in English. We are providing the “Translation” for approximately 10 languages. The goal of the translation is to provide visitors with limited English proficiency to access information on the website in other languages. The translations do not translate all types of documents, and it may not give you an exact translation all the time. The translations are made through an automated process, which may not result in accurate or precise translations, particularly of technical and legal terminology.

Public Works

Planners looking at schematics

Whether you are a resident looking to build a new driveway, or a designer working on a commercial site design, we will work with you to ensure you have access to Public Works development standards and permitting requirements in unincorporated Thurston County.

Building Development Center

County staff in the Building Development Center work to help applicants navigate the construction and building permit process.

Building Development Center
Address: 3000 Pacific Ave SE, Suite 100 Olympia, WA  98501
Mon-Fri: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Phone: (360) 867-2050

Public Works Development Standards

For other development standards, visit the Building and Development Center.

Did you know? Thurston county owns a relatively small number of water and sewer utilities in the Boston Harbor, Grand Mound, Olympic View and Tamoshan communities. For many areas in Thurston County, these services are provided by Thurston County PUD, LOTT Clean Water Alliance, and local municipalities.

Right of Way Permits

Any work performed in the county right of way requires approval and a variety of permits to ensure road standards, drainage requirements, utility ordinances, building codes, and other regulations are met.

  • Encroachment Permit is needed for any work in the county right of way.

  • Access Permit is required to use unopened County rights of way for driveways or private roads.

  • Utility Permit is required for utility work in the right of way. Generally utility companies secure this permit on behalf of an applicant.

  • Clearing/Grading Permit is required for any clearing or grading operations on private property that involves moving more than 50-yards (5 dump truck loads) of material.

Visit the applications and forms webpage to get the encroachment, access or grading/clearing/construction permit you need.
Don't know what the county right of way is? Learn more on the right of way webpage.

Parcels, Deeds and Plats

Need to research a parcel, deed or plat?
Search the Thurston County Auditor's Office Property Records containing property histories going back many years.