Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

The content on the Thurston County website is currently provided in English. We are providing the “Translation” for approximately 10 languages. The goal of the translation is to provide visitors with limited English proficiency to access information on the website in other languages. The translations do not translate all types of documents, and it may not give you an exact translation all the time. The translations are made through an automated process, which may not result in accurate or precise translations, particularly of technical and legal terminology.

Public Works

construction site at sunrise

County right of way is considered land dedicated to public streets, sidewalks, public utilities, transmission lines, walkways, trails, and bike paths. Because this critical infrastructure is used so heavily every day, construction and installation activities performed in the county right of way must be regulated to protect the safety of users and ensure consistency throughout the county.

Examples of work done in a county right of way:

  • New construction activities, such as building a new road and sidewalk
  • Maintenance, relocation, or installation of utility pipelines and wires
  • Tree removal
If you have a project that passes over or on a part of the county right of way, such as installing a new driveway, you will likely need a permit to complete the work. Visit the Building and Development Center for details.

​Property to Buy or Sell

Sometimes construction projects require additional county right of way to expand a road, add bike lanes, install a sidewalk, add a retaining wall, or any number of other improvements to public roads. This additional land is purchased from private property owners through the Real Estate Services group.

Vacating Rights

Sometimes the county vacates the right of way on a parcel of land. This removes the public's rights to access the land.  It is usually requested by adjacent property owners to adjust their boundaries.

Are you looking for information on how to submit a request to vacate a right-of-way? Check out our Vacation Guide

​Parcels, Deeds, Plats, and Road Plans

Need to research a parcel, deed, plat, or road plan? Search the Public Works's online library containing property histories going back many years.