Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

The content on the Thurston County website is currently provided in English. We are providing the “Translation” for approximately 10 languages. The goal of the translation is to provide visitors with limited English proficiency to access information on the website in other languages. The translations do not translate all types of documents, and it may not give you an exact translation all the time. The translations are made through an automated process, which may not result in accurate or precise translations, particularly of technical and legal terminology.

Public Works

Household hazardous waste being sorted

Used Cooking Oil Recycling Suspended

The Thurston County Waste and Recovery Center (WARC) has suspended its used cooking oil collection program at HazoHouse. The suspension comes in response to new traceability guidelines set by Mahoney, the current collection and recycling vendor, which prevent them from continuing collection at the WARC. 

Residents should solidify used cooking oil with a commercial oil solidifier or stearic acid before placing it in the household garbage. Visit the Consumer Reports website to learn more about using commercial oil solidifiers or stearic acid to dispose of used cooking oil properly. Questions can be directed to 360-867-2491 or

Drop-off Location

Waste and Recovery Center, HazoHouse

Address: 2420 Hogum Bay Road NE, Lacey, WA 98516
Open daily: 8 a.m.–4:45 p.m. 
Access: Use the south entrance at the Thurston County Waste and Recovery Center. 

This service is free for people living in Thurston County. Businesses must register and pay a fee.

HazoHouse is a drive-thru facility. Due to safety concerns, please do not walk into the HazoHouse area.

​Accepted at HazoHouse

To determine if a product is hazardous, look for the words POISON, DANGER, WARNING, or CAUTION on the label. Please bring waste in five-gallon containers or smaller. The following items are accepted:

  • Automotive products (brake fluid, oil filters)
  • Antifreeze. Limit: 5 gallons per vehicle per day 
  • Motor oil. Limit: 5 gallons per vehicle per day
  • All batteries EXCEPT standard alkaline. Place each battery in an individual plastic baggie. 
  • Oil-based and latex paint. Limit: 10 gallons per vehicle per day.
  • Thinners and solvents
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Glues and adhesives
  • Pesticides
  • Pool and hobby chemicals
  • Liquid fuels. Limit: 5 gallons per vehicle per day.
  • Fluorescent lights, compact fluorescent lights (CFL), High Intensity Discharge (HID) lights, yard light bulbs and their ballasts. Limit: 10 per vehicle per day. NO broken bulbs or light tubes taped together. Transport them in their original boxes if possible. Ballasts labeled as “no PCBs” should be disposed of as garbage.
  • Propane containers (5 gallons or smaller). Limit: 3 propane tanks per vehicle per day Accepted tanks include:
    • Standard barbecue tanks
    • Compact camp stove propane canisters (such as the green Coleman single-use fuel canisters)
    • Small, narrow propane cylinders used by plumbers and other contractors
  • Products containing mercury. Place thermometers in their original containers or in two plastic sealable bags.

NOT Accepted at HazoHouse

  • Alkaline batteries from households
  • Empty or leaking containers
  • Medical waste
  • Asbestos (see below on proper disposal)
  • Pharmaceuticals/medications (find drop-off locations)
  • Explosives or fireworks
  • Ammunition
  • Radioactive wastes
  • Smoke detectors
  • Fire extinguishers. Discharge extinguisher into a bucket or garbage bag and put in the garbage.
  • Computers, monitors, TVs, or electronics (find e-cycle drop-off locations)

Scroll down to check out the Where Do I Take My? database to find disposal locations for these items and others.

​Transporting Household Hazardous Waste

Safely transport household hazardous wastes. The risk of fire, explosion, and spills exists during transport.

  • Transport household hazardous waste in sealed containers
  • Keep containers in an upright position. 
  • Place containers in a plastic-lined box. 
  • Make sure all containers are 5 gallons or less in size and properly labeled with the contents.
  • Store acids and oxidizers separately, away from each other and other hazardous products.

​Medicine Take-back

Please visit Thurston County Public Health and Social Services to find out where to take unwanted medicine.


Manufacturers are required by state law to offer recycling services for certain electronic items at no cost to individuals, nonprofits, small businesses, schools, and local governments. The law took effect January 1, 2009 and applies to the following items only:

  • TVs
  • Desktop computers
  • Laptop computers
  • Monitors
  • E-book readers (such as the Kindle and the Nook)
  • Portable DVD players

The Washington State Department of Ecology coordinates collection sites and enforces the law through the E-Cycle Washington program.


A permit is required prior to removal of asbestos. For details, please go to the Olympic Region Clean Air Agency site or call (360) 539-7610.

Call (360) 867-2491 to make an appointment at least one business day before disposing of asbestos at the Waste and Recovery Center (WARC.) Appointments must be scheduled for weekdays, 10 a.m.–2:30 p.m. Be sure to specify the type of asbestos-containing material (friable or non-friable, and whether it is pipe, pipe insulation, tile, etc.). The disposal fee is $143/ton, with a minimum fee of $22 for quantities less than 300 pounds. 

Wrapping requirements

  1. Thoroughly wet.
  2. Double wrap in 6 mil plastic (not the equivalent) with no air pockets. Each layer of plastic must be at least 6 mil thick (not millimeters) to ensure proper strength.
  3. Seal with tape.
  4. Mark each bag with: "CONTAINS ASBESTOS" and your name, address, and daytime phone number.
  5. Take prepared package to the WARC.

​Healthy Home Environment

Thurston County offers free and confidential guidance and education to residents and childcare centers through the Healthy Home Program. Trained staff members help address concerns with housing conditions like mold, exposure to toxics, asthma triggers, indoor air pollution, lead, and other housing-related health risks.