Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

The content on the Thurston County website is currently provided in English. We are providing the “Translation” for approximately 10 languages. The goal of the translation is to provide visitors with limited English proficiency to access information on the website in other languages. The translations do not translate all types of documents, and it may not give you an exact translation all the time. The translations are made through an automated process, which may not result in accurate or precise translations, particularly of technical and legal terminology.

County Clerk

Facilitators provide assistance to self-represented parties involved in domestic relations matters by providing information about local court procedures, use of mandatory forms and by providing assistance in preparing child support worksheets based on the Washington State Child Support Guidelines by utilizing the family income.

Email a Facilitator at

The facilitator CAN

  • Explain Court protocol
  • Assist in identifying forms for family law cases only
  • Assist in scheduling hearings
  • Check paperwork as to completeness prior to court
  • Refer to other agencies for special needs or legal advice

The facilitator CANNOT

  • Meet with anyone represented by an attorney
  • Give Legal advice
  • Establish an attorney-client relationship or provide legal representation
  • Tell any party what to say or complete the forms for you
  • Provide assistance in any other case types
  • Verify the accuracy of information provided
  • Answer questions about the meaning or effect of forms or terms thereof

Appointment Information

All meetings with the facilitator are by appointment only. Appointments can be scheduled Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in 30 minute increments.

There is a $25 fee for every 30 minute appointment. Longer appointments may be scheduled (ex. $50 for 60 minute time slot). Payment is required prior to booking your appointment.

Please have all of your paperwork completed to the best of your ability prior to your appointment. The facilitator can help with questions but cannot complete the paperwork for you.

If you have children, please do not bring them to your appointment, if possible.

The facilitators are located at the Family and Juvenile Court building, 2801 32nd Ave SW, Tumwater 98512.

Family Court Orientation

Family Law Orientation | Thurston County Superior Court

Dissolution and legal separation cases involving children are subject to family court orientation. Orientation must be scheduled at the time each new case is filed and must be attended within 30 days from the date of filing.

Family court orientation is an informational session in which litigants are provided with information from the court and an opportunity to schedule the required Consider the Children seminar. The presentation is designated to help parents understand the court process.

Get Help with Child Support

If you need assistance with a child support action, the following programs may be helpful to you:

  • Washington State Department of Social and Health Services. Contact this office if you need assistance paying or collecting administrative or court-ordered child support.
  • Family Law Support Division – Thurston County Prosecuting Attorney. Contact this office if you need assistance with a paternity action (for people who do not have an affidavit/acknowledgement of paternity) and for help reviewing child support orders if you have received, or are receiving, public assistance.
  • To estimate the amount of child support that might be ordered, you can go to the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services-Division of Child Support by clicking here.

Legal Assistance - Resources

Northwest Justice Project CLEAR Hotline

Low income parties may receive legal advice and referrals by phone.  For more information:
888-201-1014 (9:15am – 12:15pm)
888-387-7111 Persons 60 years old and over regardless of income 

Sound Legal Aid (formerly Thurston County Volunteer Legal Services )

Sound Legal Aid helps you resolve your own civil legal issue by giving you legal advice at one of their clinics. You leave the clinic with a list of next steps. Sometimes, they have attorneys who are willing to represent you in court. Usually this is for evictions in Thurston County, but occasionally for other types of civil legal issues. For more information:
844-211-6916 (toll free)

WSBA Moderate Means Program

The Moderate Means Program is a partnership between the Washington State Bar Association and Washington’s three law schools, connecting people within 200–400% of the Federal Poverty Level to lawyers who offer legal help at reduced fees. For more information:

Additional Resources