Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

The content on the Thurston County website is currently provided in English. We are providing the “Translation” for approximately 10 languages. The goal of the translation is to provide visitors with limited English proficiency to access information on the website in other languages. The translations do not translate all types of documents, and it may not give you an exact translation all the time. The translations are made through an automated process, which may not result in accurate or precise translations, particularly of technical and legal terminology.

Public Works

Traffic light being repaired


Speed Limit Information

To request speed limit revision in your area, you must complete a service request. Staff will then contact you for further details. The Board of County Commissioners sets the final decision to change the speed limit. Note: speed limits in school zones and residential areas are set by county code and cannot be changed.

Speed Limit revisions are presented yearly to the Board of County Commissioners (BoCC) for consideration and adoption. Any potential revisions received after March 31 will be held until the next calendar year for presentation to the BoCC. 

Pursuant to RCW 46.09.455, the Board of County Commissioners passed an ordinance allowing wheeled ATVs to travel on county roads with a maximum speed limit of 35 MPH by licensed drivers over the age of 16. You can find the roads here.

Use the link below for more information about how speed limits are set.

Neighborhood Traffic Concerns

We are now accepting requests for 2024Traffic Calming funds now until March 31, 2024

For speeding, parking, or signage issues, please submit an online service request.

Use this link to learn about the Traffic Calming Program. For information about the Safe Routes to Schools program, contact us via our comment form.

Thurston County Public Works ADA Program

Pedestrian travel is a vital transportation mode. Nearly everyone uses it and is a critical link to everyday life for many. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) require government agencies to design, construct, retrofit, and maintain infrastructure that allows access for persons with disabilities or limited mobility. 

Public Works has developed a transportation plan to improve policies and procedures, road standards, and roadway features such as sidewalks and curb ramps for people with disabilities. This plan shows improvements that have been made and places needing further improvements and outlines a timeline for future projects. Areas for improvement in the new plan include:

  • How we respond to requests and design of traffic signals
  • Updating ADA standards for county roads
  • Adding curb ramps, sidewalks, and pedestrian features to road standards

Funding Sources for ADA Projects

Planned ADA projects can be funded through the following sources.

Click here to view the plan, or contact Becky Conn at 360-867-2349 or if you would like a copy of the plan.

Traffic Signals

The county is responsible for 11 traffic signals in the Olympia and Lacey urban growth areas. All other signals are managed by local cities or the state. Drag and zoom the map to view signal locations. Click on pins for the intersections.

If you see an issue, send us a service request.

Road Signs

The Traffic Safety workgroup maintains over 17,000 street, speed limit, informational, and other signs along the right-of-way in our county. We also have memorial, motorist information, and historic road signs. For more information about these programs, request contact from a staff member using our online request form.