The Thurston County Auditor’s Office is providing passport services by appointment only.
- Appointments are available 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Appointments are only available for scheduling two weeks out from the current date. If you need to cancel your appointment please use the cancelation link in your appointment confirmation email or call us at 360.786.5406.
- One appointment per application.
- Fill out all paperwork before arriving for your appointment. Please be sure you you have completed the most current DS-11.
- Please show up early to your appointment, if possible.
- Please do not wear white or cream clothing if you plan to have your picture taken. Dark clothes produce a better photo.
- Your patience is appreciated.
- The U.S. Department of State portion of the fees must be paid by check or money order (see more information below).
Adult passport renewals are a self mail-in process only. We process renewals for children under 16 and in instances where adults don't qualify for mail-in renewals. We are required to charge $35 for renewal processing under all circumstances. Learn more at the U.S. Department of State's Renew a Passport by Mail webpage.
Routine Passport Service can take up to 11 weeks (just under three months) from when you apply to the day you receive your passport. It may take up to 2 weeks from the day you apply until your application is "In Process."
If you have questions, please call: 360.786.5406
Third party courier companies, also known as "passport expeditors" can only be used if:
- You have a congressional referral letter or visa need, or
- You demonstrate an imminent travel need, as defined by the Department of State, in less than 14 days and can provide proof of travel
In many cases, passport expeditors cannot speed up the passport process for you. Some other things to consider about passport expeditors:
- These companies do not operate as a part of the U.S. Department of State or the Thurston County Auditor's Office.
- Courier companies charge additional fees for their services.
- You are still required to appear in person at an acceptance facility if applying on Form DS-11, even when using a courier service.
- The executed application must be delivered to a Regional Passport Agency no later than 5 business days after the application is executed.
If you have travel plans in the next three weeks, please contact the Seattle Passport Agency Office at (877) 487-2778, or online. The Seattle office can issue same day, or limited passports with an appointment.
1. Fill Out Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
2. Submit Form DS-11: Passport Application in Person
- The DS-11 must be completed prior to the transaction with passport services staff.
3. Submit Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
- State Birth Certificate (not the one from the hospital)
- Previous Passport
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- See U.S. Department of State Citizenship Evidence webpage for additional information
4. Present Required Identification
- Fully-valid Driver's License
- Previously-issued, undamaged U.S. passport
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
- Current Government Employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
- Current Military ID (military and dependents)
- Please note:
- An ID card is insufficient by itself for applicant 16 and older
- Children under 16 are not required to present photo ID. Other circumstances may require alternate documents
- See U.S. Department of State Photo Identification webpage for additional information
5. Provide Passport Photo
- Your head must face the camera directly with full face in view.
- You must have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.
- Wear clothing normally worn on a daily basis
- Taken in the last 6 months
- Use a plain white or off-white background
- Be sized correctly
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm)
- Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
- Printed in color
- You cannot wear glasses.
- If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with application.
- You cannot wear a hat or head covering.
- If you wear a hat or head covering for religious purposes, submit a signed statement that verifies that the hat or head covering in your photo is part of recognized, traditional religious attire that is customarily or required to be worn continuously in public.
- If you wear a hat or head covering for medical purposes, submit a signed doctor's statement verifying the hat or head covering in your photo is used daily for medical purposes.
- Your full face must be visible and your hat or head covering cannot obscure your hairline or cast shadows on your face.
- You cannot wear headphones or wireless hands-free devices.
- See U.S. Department of State Passport Photos webpage for additional information and examples.
6. Provide Application Fees
- Consult U.S. Department of State Passport Fee Schedule
- Check(s) or money order(s) will be required for U.S. Department of State portion of fees. Checks, cash, or credit card (we charge all cards a service fee of $2.00 or 2.35%, whichever is highest) accepted for Auditor's Office portion of the fees.
- Fees may vary, so please don't fill out the amount on the check until the fee has been determined.
7. Additional Information
If you already have a passport and require service, you must bring your old passport with you. This includes expired passports.
- Adult Passport Renewals are a self mail-in process only. Don't go to a passport acceptance facility if you qualify as an Adult Passport Renewal. Please consult the renewal form, DS-82. Renew a passport by mail.
- Child Renewals: Children under 16 must apply in-person with their parents. If one parent is unable to come in, he or she must complete a consent form, DS-3053, and submit a copy of his or her photo ID, front and back. Other circumstances may require alternate documents.
- You may obtain renewal, amendment, and other passport forms at the Auditor's Office.
- Convenience Services: Our office can take passport photos for $15.
- For additional information visit the U.S. Department of State's Passport Services website.
We provide passport photo services for renewals and new applications. If you provide your own photo, you will be required to satisfy the U.S. State Department’s photo requirements. The fee for passport photo services is $15.
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Passport services are by appointment only.
*Please note: The Auditor's Office opens at 9 a.m. on the first Wednesday of every month.
Please consult the U.S. Department of State's Fee Schedule to determine the correct fees. The application fee is paid directly to the Department of State. The Execution/Acceptance fee is paid directly to the Thurston County Auditor's Office. Two separate payments are required.
Please note payment methods:
- Check(s) or money order(s) will be required for U.S. Department of State portion of fees.
- Checks, cash, or credit card (we charge all cards a service fee of $2.00 or 2.35%, whichever is highest) accepted for Auditor's Office portion of the fees.