Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

Superior Court

Information for persons with disabilities who need accommodations to access the Court

It is the policy of the Thurston County Superior Court to make sure that persons with disabilities have equal and full access to the judicial system.

Anyone with a disability who needs an accommodation to participate in a court proceeding, service, program or activity can ask for one. “Disability” is defined by federal and state laws, including the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Washington Law Against Discrimination.

If you need to request an accommodation and cannot fill out the paperwork yourselves it is ok to have a friend or family member fill out the paperwork for you, if necessary. Court staff can also help you in filling out an accommodation request.

​Tell the court why you need an accommodation and what accommodation you want. This information will allow the court to decide if the request can be granted. Court staff may ask you for more information or work to problem-solve about what would be most helpful.

It is best to provide medical records and medical information but be careful to keep it private. Put those documents under the Sealed Medical and Health Information Cover Sheet so they will not be available to the public.

​You can ask for an accommodation to allow you to fully and meaningfully participate in a court proceeding, service, program, or activity. You should ask for the accommodation that will best allow you to do that. If you do not know what the court can provide, court staff will be happy to talk with you about different options for accommodation.

​The form should be filed as soon as you know that you need an accommodation. It is best to ask for the  at least five days before you need the accommodation. Requests after that point will be granted if they are possible.

​The request should be given to court administrative staff. Staff may file the request in the public court file, where the public and other participants may see it. Your paperwork can also be subject to public disclosure if someone asks. If there is private information, such as medical records, submit them underneath the form Sealed Medical and Health Information Cover Sheet to keep those records private.

Send your request to court administration staff at:

You can also mail it or deliver it in person to:

Thurston County Superior Court
ADA Coordinator
2000 Lakeridge Drive SW, Building 2
Olympia WA 98502

The court can give you a paper copy of the form and can help you fill out the form if you need assistance. Call 360-786-5560 if you have any questions or concerns.