Thurston County’s rent assistance program is currently
operational per Proclamation
Have you been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and need help with rent and utilities?
You might qualify for 2021 Rent Assistance.
How Do I Make An Appointment?
There are multiple access points for Rent Assistance in Thurston County. View the flow chart to learn how the Rent Assistance process works in Thurston County.
Applicants can view the checklist to help prepare the documentation and information needed at their appointment.
Ages 25 and up apply through the Community Action Council
- Schedule an appointment online or if you don't have access to the Internet, call to schedule your appointment.
- (360) 438-1100, press 8 for Housing. Open Monday-Thursday 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Visit the Community Action Council website at www.CACLMT.org
Ages 18-24 apply through Community Youth Services
Contact your Case Manager or existing contact at a partner organizations (ages 18 and up)
- CIELO, www.cieloprograms.org (360) 968-0571, email@example.com
- Family Support Center of South Sound, www.fscss.org, (360) 754-9297
- Innovations Human Trafficking Collaborative, www.innovationshtc.org, (833) 201-0940, firstname.lastname@example.org
- SafePlace Olympia, www.safeplaceolympia.org, (360) 786-8754, 24-hour Help Line: 360-754-6300
- Have 2020 or current gross income at 80% or less of Area Median Income (AMI). Households with incomes at 50% or less of AMI and those currently on unemployment will be prioritized.
- Are experiencing financial hardship directly or indirectly due to COVID-19.
- Are at risk of experiencing homelessness or currently experiencing housing instability.
- Most non-traditional or informal rental situations, including hotel stays, mobile home lot rentals and single room rentals can be covered.
|Number of household members||80% of AMI (Thurston County)|
What Do I Need To Apply?
- Income verification for all household members (W-2s, pay stubs, etc.).
- Lease or rental documents.
- Any unemployment documentation.
- Landlord contact information, including email.
- You are not required to provide immigration status.
How Much Of My Rent & Utilities Can Be Covered?
- This program can cover rent up to 150% of Fair Market Value and not more than the total amount owed.
- This program can cover rent past due since March 13, 2020.
- This program can cover three months of future rent at a time. Households can reapply after each three-month period for up to 12 months of total assistance.
- This funding can assist with past due utilities, including Internet.
How Can Landlords Participate?
Distribution of Thurston County Rent Assistance for 2021, as of August 31, 2021
- Landlords can share this opportunity with their tenants and encourage them to apply.
- Landlords will need to provide their most recent W-9 form and lease or rental documents.
- Rent payments go directly to landlords. They'll need to agree to accept payment from Community Action Council.
|Organization||Total Households Served||Total Financial Assistance Provided|
Council (serving ages 25 at CAC and up and all ages through partner
Services (serving only ages 18-24)||72||$593,507.30|
Distribution of Thurston County Rent Assistance for 2020
In 2020, funding for Rent Assistance programs began in August as a response to the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Council (serving ages 25 and up at CAC and all ages through partner
Services (serving only ages 18-24)*||100||$304,827.43|
*In 2020, Community Youth Services was contracted
directly with the Washington State Department of Commerce. The funding they
received in 2020 did not go through Thurston County Office of Housing &
Homeless Prevention. In 2021 this changed and the funding for CYS to administer
Rent Assistance is now contracted from Thurston County.
How Is Rent Assistance Funded?
To help address the economic impacts the COVID-19 pandemic has had on low- and moderate-income households, Thurston County is providing rent and utility assistance to help people maintain their housing. Through a mix of local, state and federal funding, these resources are targeting low- and moderate-income renter households who need assistance paying rent, past due utility bills and other eligible housing costs. This program benefits both renters who are struggling to make payments as well as the property owners who may have lost rental income during the pandemic. Funding for Rent Assistance programs must be spent by September 2022.
Details of Rent Assistance Funding for Thurston County