Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

The content on the Thurston County website is currently provided in English. We are providing the “Translation” for approximately 10 languages. The goal of the translation is to provide visitors with limited English proficiency to access information on the website in other languages. The translations do not translate all types of documents, and it may not give you an exact translation all the time. The translations are made through an automated process, which may not result in accurate or precise translations, particularly of technical and legal terminology.

Thurston County allows accessory dwelling units (ADUs) in rural unincorporated areas of Thurston County when density requirements for the underlying zoning district, regulations, and standards pertaining to ADUs can be met.  Accessory Dwelling Unit are places someone can live. Includes a kitchen, bedroom(s), and bathroom. On the same lot as a single-family home, but smaller in size, and can be attached or separate from main home.

Find forms and details on the county's permitting applications web page under the ADU at the top.