Marriage Licenses
The Auditor’s Office issues marriage licenses. Marriage licenses issued by the Thurston County Auditor are only valid for ceremonies that take place in Washington State. Learn more about the marriage application process and getting a marriage license below.
Apply for a Marriage License

​Learn about the steps you need to take to get a marriage license.

Marriage Application Steps

Follow these steps to apply for a marriage license. Please note: everyone must fill out an Online Marriage Application either from home or on our lobby computers (Step 2 or 3):

  1. Check the requirements for a marriage license.

  2. If you meet eligibility requirements, watch the short video explaining the marriage application process, fill out the Online Marriage Application, and complete the application process in the Auditor's Office. The three-day waiting period starts when our office issues the license.

  3. Both parties to the marriage need to come to the Auditor's Office in person to complete the application process.

  4. If one party cannot be present, they need to complete a marriage application and have their signature notarized. The other party can bring in the application to finalize it and start the three-day waiting period. 

  5. Congratulations! You can now get married any time after three days and within the following 60 days.

Remote Marriage License Application

How to apply for a marriage license if you cannot come into our office.

  • Download and fill out the Marriage Application Form and complete the Online Marriage Application. Please make sure both applicants appear the same (Applicants A and B) on the paper application as they do on the online marriage application. 
  • Both parties must sign the application in the presence of a notary public. 
  • The following can be mailed to our office:
    • Application
    • Fees and 
    • Instructions that include a contact phone number, wedding date and information about where you would like us to mail the marriage packet. 

Get Copies of Your Marriage Certificate

​Learn how to get copies of your marriage certificate.

​If you would like to order copies of your Marriage Certificate, we accept credit cards over the phone at 360.786.5405 (we charge all card transactions a $2.00 or 2.35% service fee, whichever is highest). You can also come to our office in person or you can send a written request to:

Thurston County Auditor
Attn: Copy Request
3000 Pacific Ave. SE
Olympia, WA 98501

Photo copies cost $1.00 per page.

Certified copies of each document cost $3.00 for the first page and $1.00 for each additional page.


Marriage License: Frequently Asked Questions

​Below you will find the answers to the most frequently asked questions about the marriage application process.

​What are the requirements for a marriage license?

You can learn about the requirements here.

What if I can't apply in-person?

If one or both people in the marriage cannot apply in-person at the Auditor's Office, see steps 4 and 5 above in the "Marriage Application Steps."

How much does it cost to apply for a marriage license?


We accept cash, check, money order, or credit cards. Payment is due at the time of application. We charge all card transactions a $2.00 or 2.35% service fee, whichever is highest.

Can you explain the three-day waiting period?

​State law requires three days between the date our office records a marriage application and when you get married (RCW 26.04.180). For example, if you apply on Wednesday, you can get married on Saturday.

Is the marriage license fee refundable?


Do we need to perform the ceremony in a certain way?

State law (RCW 26.04.070) requires the people getting married to say they will take each other as spouses in the presence of:

  • An official with any religious organization OR a judicial officer; and
  • At least two attending witnesses.

Does Washington State allow proxy marriages?


Who can perform ("officiate") marriage ceremonies?

State law (RCW 26.04.050) says who can perform marriage ceremonies. The following people, active or retired, can perform marriage ceremonies:

  • Judges of the Supreme Court, Court of Appeals, Superior Court, District Court, Municipal Court and other courts of limited jurisdiction (RCW 3.02.020).
  • Commissioners of the Supreme Court, Court of Appeals and Superior Court.
  • Licensed or ordained official of any religious organization.

Washington State does not license officials of any religious organization. Officials of religious organizations from any state may perform ceremonies. Couples may not officiate their own wedding.

Are marriage records publicly available?

All marriage records are public records. The one exception is if one or both people are enrolled in the Washington State Address Confidentiality Program (ACP). If you are enrolled in ACP, please contact our office to schedule a time to apply for your marriage application.

Once we record a marriage application or certificate, it cannot be removed from our records.