License Your Pet
The Auditor’s Office can only issue licenses to dogs and cats in unincorporated Thurston County. We also license hobby and commercial kennels.
Pet owners can license their pets online with Joint Animal Services.
Fees for pet licenses depend on the age of the pet and whether they have been spayed or neutered.
- Dogs (not spayed or neutered): $24.00
- Dogs (spayed, neutered or under 6 months): $12.00
- Reduced fee (see below): $6.00
- Cats (not spayed or neutered): $16.00
- Cats (spayed, neutered or under 6 months): $8.00
- Reduced fee (see below): $4.00
Fee for replacement license tag for cat or dog: $3.00
You qualify for a reduced fee pet license if:
- You are over 61 years of age and have a low income; or
- You have a disability, no longer have employment because of the disability and have a low income.
"Low income" residents must meet one or more of the following:
- Qualify for reduction of your property tax through the Thurston County Assessor's Office;
- Quality for utility bill reduction through a city;
- Make less than $18,000 after taxes; or
- Your sole source of income is Social Security, SSDI or other medical disability
And, you must:
- Show documentation proving you meet the above criteria.
A "Hobby Kennel" is a non-commercial kennel at or adjoining a private residence where the owner keeps four or more adult dogs for breeding; hunting; training or exhibiting at organized shows; field working or obedience trials; or enjoyment of the species.
Hobby Kennel Licenses cost $25.00 per year plus $1.00 per dog. Please contact our Licensing office for the proper forms and rules for the license.
A "Commercial Kennel" is a place where a person provides facilities for breeding adult dogs and selling their offspring. The dogs receive care, training and boarding for compensation, not including a small animal hospital, clinic or pet shop. An adult dog is one that has reached the age of six months.
Commercial Kennel Licenses cost $25.00 per year and run from January 1 to December 31 each year. Please contact our Licensing team for the proper forms and rules for the license.