Mary Hall Thurston County Auditor Biography
First elected Thurston County Auditor in 2013, Mary Hall's elections career began in Pierce County in 1996. She received her National Certification in Elections Administration in 2004 through Auburn University and the Elections Center. Hall currently serves on the Elections Center board of directors.
Mary Hall is an award-winning elections administrator and leader. Known for partnerships and innovations, Hall has over three decades of professional leadership experience in the corporate and government sectors.
- 2020 Auditor of the Year award from the Office of Secretary of State.
- 2020 Presidents Award for Outstanding Service from the Washington State Association of County Auditors (WSACA)
- 2020 Heavy Hitter Award for legislative work (WSACA)
- 2020 National Association of County Officials (NACO) Achievement Award for standing up a drive-thru Voting Center during a pandemic and Presidential Election.
- 2019 NACO Achievement Award for standing up county cybersecurity
Hall was awarded the 2020 Auditor of the Year Award in recognition of her work during the COVID-19 pandemic. Hall led her team to quickly open a drive-thru Voting Center on the campus of South Puget Sound Community College. "When it became evident COVID-19 would pose significant obstacles to voter access and safety, Auditor Hall stepped up to coordinate a safe place for her staff and Thurston County voters," said Secretary of State Kim Wyman. "From organizing a drive-up service, to equipping staff with necessary PPE to keep them and customers safe at all times, her team took every precaution to prepare for the influx of in-person activity."
Hall represents Thurston County and Washington State on several boards, including:
- Election Center Board of Directors, National Association of Election Officials
- National Association of Counties Finance, Pensions and Intergovernmental Affairs Steering Committee
- VoteWA Executive Steering Committee member, Washington Secretary of State
- Legislative Committee, Washington State Association of County Auditors
- Voter Intent Committee, Washington Secretary of State
- Address Confidentiality Program Committee, Washington Secretary of State
In addition to overseeing elections, the County Auditor's office provides direct financial services and guidance to county offices and department, and recording, licensing and passport services to the public.
The Financial Services Division has received 14 straight Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Report from the Government Finance Officers Association. In 2021, for the 6th straight year, Thurston County received a clean audit from the State Auditor's Office. Hall's commitment to LEAN principles has reduced costs and created efficiencies. Her commitment to strong internal controls, has resulted in six straight clean state audits.
Hall is a champion for removing barriers to voting. She spearheaded support for same-day voter registration, pre-registration for 16 and 17-year-olds, and automatic voter registration. She led the successful effort to fully-fund elections by convincing the state to pick up their share of elections costs beginning in 2022.
Her legislative efforts were recognized by Governor Inslee as he selected her to be the only elected official to speak at the bill signing ceremony celebrating the passage of Same Day Voter Registration, Automatic Voter Registration and the Washington Voting Rights Act.
Following the 2016 Presidential Election, Hall's focus was to protect elections by improving the county's cybersecurity. In 2018, she formed and co-chairs the Thurston County Cyber Security Forum. The forum successfully secured resources to expand the county's security program. She's coordinated resources with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for testing, a State Auditor Cybersecurity Audit, and county-wide mandatory cyber-security training. In 2020, The National Association of County Officials (NACO) recognized the county with an Achievement Award for the Cybersecurity Forum.
Request a presentation from Auditor Mary Hall*
*Presentation requests for Auditor Hall in her official capacity only.