Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

The content on the Thurston County website is currently provided in English. We are providing the “Translation” for approximately 10 languages. The goal of the translation is to provide visitors with limited English proficiency to access information on the website in other languages. The translations do not translate all types of documents, and it may not give you an exact translation all the time. The translations are made through an automated process, which may not result in accurate or precise translations, particularly of technical and legal terminology.

Public Health and Social Services

There are currently limited resources for rent assistance in Thurston County.

The Eviction Prevention Rent Assistance program (EPRA) has significantly less funding than previous rent assistance programs that were available during the COVID-19 pandemic and may not be able to serve every eligible applicant. 

This program is offered at three different local organizations. Find the description that fits your household best for which organization to contact.


EPRA for families with children and survivors of domestic violence

EPRA for adults ages 25 +

EPRA for youth and young adults ages 18-24

Important information about EPRA

  • EPRA has limited funding and will not be able to serve every eligible applicant. The program is often at capacity and may or may not be accepting new applicants. New applicants may be put on a waitlist.
  • EPRA has an applicant screening process to help serve the tenants most at risk for eviction and homelessness. 
  • Tenants accepted into the EPRA program are required to participate in housing stability planning with a case manager.
EPRA Enrollment Process_Long.

Rent assistance offered through LiveStories/FORWARD is now permanently closed and there is no wait list. This program was funded by the CARES Act and the American Rescue Plan Act. It was intended as a short-term response to the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Thurston County COVID-19 Rent Assistance Infographic

Thurston County COVID-19 Rent Assistance Survey Report

Dispute Resolution Center Housing Services

Contact: (360) 956-1155 


The Cities of Lacey, Olympia, and Tumwater are partnered with the Dispute Resolution Center Housing Services to provide their residents with mediation on Landlord-Tenant issues. If you live within city limits of Lacey, Olympia, or Tumwater, you may use Dispute Resolution Center services to:

  • Address overdue rent
  • Successfully negotiate payment or repayment plans
  • Discuss deposits and move out timelines
  • Access legal resources and limited rental assistance
  • Address lease agreements
  • Develop agreements for shared housing/cohabitation
  • Resolve neighborhood issues, and more!

We recommend you thoroughly review this comprehensive resource list to see what programs or services may meet your need for rent assistance directly, or by helping indirectly by providing something like food or utility assistance to free up more cash for your rent. If you have children in school, there may be programs at their school district to help support your family. If you want to talk to someone about local resources, consider visiting the Thurston County Resource Hub.

A landlord can’t have a tenant physically removed from a rental without going through the legal eviction process. 


For a tenant to be evicted, the landlord must demonstrate a reason that falls under the list of just causes for evictions and then go through the legal process. Non-payment of rent is an allowable cause for eviction. Reasons a Landlord Can Evict 


Any tenant with a summons & complaint for eviction has the right to legal counsel. 


The process to evict for non-payment of rent must start with 14-Day Notice to Pay or Vacate served to the tenant.

  • This used to be a 3-day notice, but now a minimum of 14 days’ notice is required. In a limited number of cases, up to 30 days’ notice may be required.
  • The tenant does not have to leave after the 14 days are up. The tenant cannot be physically removed until the landlord goes through the legal eviction process, but that may result in the eviction filing being on the tenant’s record. 


Process for eviction due to nonpayment of rent. 

  1. The landlord must serve a Summons and Complaint for eviction/unlawful detainer on the tenant. The case may be filed with the court, or it may be unfiled at this stage. At this point the tenant may have the right to legal counsel and should call the Eviction Defense Screening Line right away: 1-800-657-8387.
  2. The tenant MUST respond in writing to the summons before the deadline listed. If they do not respond, the tenant may be evicted without a court hearing. 
  3. If the tenant responds within the deadline, then the landlord must file the eviction/unlawful detainer with the court and set a hearing date. The tenant should be notified of the court date (Order to Show Cause) and have the opportunity to attend.
  4. At the court date, the judge will hear from both parties and decide whether to grant the eviction or not. 
  5. If the court grants the eviction (writ of restitution), the landlord can then have the Sheriff physically remove the tenant from the property. 

If you’re experiencing discrimination in housing, please contact the Fair Housing Center of Washington:

Contact the Office of Housing and Homeless Prevention division at 360-867-2500  if you have additional questions.