Get My Property Deed

The Auditor's Office receives a lot of requests for home deeds. Below you will find the answers to the most frequently asked questions about deeds.

Can I Get a Deed to My Home From Your Office?
​Yes. If you would like a copy of your deed, come in to our office or call us over the phone and we will mail you copies. You can pay for copies with your credit card over the phone...

Regardless of how you choose to get copies of your deed, it is helpful to know what type of “deed” you want. We have two types of documents commonly called deeds. The first transfers ownership of a property. We refer to these as “deeds.” The second shows you paid off a specific loan, and we refer to these as “releases” or “reconveyances.”

Our office does not have a document that shows you own your home “free and clear.”

How Do I Get the Deed to My Home After I Pay It Off?
​In Washington, when you pay off your home, you don’t get the title for it like you do with a car...

Each time you pay off a loan, whether at the end of a 30-year mortgage or when refinancing your home, your bank will record a Reconveyance. A Reconveyance shows you have paid off a specific loan. If your bank doesn’t provide you with a Reconveyance, we can get you a copy. You can find out how to request a copy from our office by clicking on this link and reading the answer to "How do I request copies of recorded documents?"

How Do I Change the Names on My Deed?
The Auditor's Office can't offer legal advice...

If you would like to add, change or remove names from your deed and are unfamiliar with the necessary steps to take, you can contact a real estate attorney or title company.  If you are looking for blank forms, you can try an office supply store or title company.

What if My Spouse Has Passed Away?
​If your spouse or someone on your deed has passed away, please...

contact an attorney to find out if you need to make any changes to your deed. If they tell you to record documents with our office, please get clear direction on what they want you to record and make sure you have completed documents prior to coming to our office for recording.