Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

The content on the Thurston County website is currently provided in English. We are providing the “Translation” for approximately 10 languages. The goal of the translation is to provide visitors with limited English proficiency to access information on the website in other languages. The translations do not translate all types of documents, and it may not give you an exact translation all the time. The translations are made through an automated process, which may not result in accurate or precise translations, particularly of technical and legal terminology.


The Auditor's Office receives a lot of requests for home deeds. Below you will find the answers to the most frequently asked questions about deeds.

Regardless of how you choose to get copies of your deed, it is helpful to know what type of “deed” you want. We have two types of documents commonly called deeds. The first transfers ownership of a property. We refer to these as “deeds.” The second shows you paid off a specific loan, and we refer to these as “releases” or “reconveyances.”

Our office does not have a document that shows you own your home “free and clear.”

Each time you pay off a loan, whether at the end of a 30-year mortgage or when refinancing your home, your bank will record a Reconveyance. A Reconveyance shows you have paid off a specific loan. If your bank doesn’t provide you with a Reconveyance, we can get you a copy. You can find out how to request a copy from our office by clicking on this link and reading the answer to "How do I request copies of recorded documents?"

If you would like to add, change or remove names from your deed and are unfamiliar with the necessary steps to take, you can contact a real estate attorney or title company.  If you are looking for blank forms, you can try an office supply store or title company.

Contact an attorney to find out if you need to make any changes to your deed. If they tell you to record documents with our office, please get clear direction on what they want you to record and make sure you have completed documents prior to coming to our office for recording.