Shoreline Master Program Home
The Board of County Commissioners is holding work sessions to discuss the Shoreline Master Program update and prepare documents for local adoption.
- NEXT ACTION: Monday, November 20, 2023 at 9 a.m., BoCC work session. Find BoCC work session documents on the Board of County Commissioner's Meetings page a week before. (Scroll down the page under Scheduled Meetings and Briefings).
- AND AFTER THAT: BoCC work session on Monday, December 4 at 9 a.m.
If you own waterfront property in unincorporated Thurston County, the Current SMP (Shoreline Master Program), adopted in 1990 spells out building and development rules, allowable land uses and zoning. An SMP Code Update Project is now underway. Find more information below.
Video & Documents from the Board of County Commissioners Public Hearing
- Recorded Public Hearing Video on YouTube from the May 16 BoCC Public Hearing
- Strikethrough Version of the SMP Draft document with proposed edits marked
- Clean Version of the SMP Draft document
- SMP Decision Matrix
- Planning Commission SMP Minority Report
- 2023 Inventory & Characterization Report Supplement
- 2023 Shoreline Environment Designation Report Supplement
- SEPA Mitigated Determination of Non-significance (MDNS)
- To more learn about the SMP, visit the SMP Documents section below to view the story map, fact sheets, maps and historical documents.
- To view public comments on the SMP Update project, please go to the Public Participation section below.
- Learn more about the SMP update in the SMP Update story map
- See the options for Public Participation in the Public Participation section below.
- View fact sheets, maps and other documents related to the SMP Update, in the Documents section below.
- Why the county is updating its SMP: Washington's Department of Ecology requires counties to update their shoreline building and development regulations from time to time. A county SMP update project is nearing completion. Review the SMP documents to learn more about it, or visit the Public Participation page to submit a comment, read comments submitted by other or subscribe to our email list for update
The current shoreline rules adopted in 1990 and used as the current shoreline development policies for unincorporated Thurston County. The Current SMP applies to marine shorelines (Puget Sound), rivers with a flow greater than 20 cubic feet per second, lakes larger than 20 acres, upland areas within 200 feet of these water bodies, and the floodplains and wetlands associated with these shorelines.
|Q4 2023||BoCC briefing on October 30||October 30 Briefing Video on YouTube &
October 30 Briefing Document
|Q4 2023||BoCC briefing on October 16||October 16 Briefing Video on YouTube &
October 16 Briefing Document
|Q3 2023||BoCC briefing on September 25||September 25 Briefing Video on YouTube &
September 25 Briefing Document
|Q3 2023||BoCC Work Session on August 30, 2023||August 30 BoCC Briefing Video on YouTube & August 30 Briefing Document|
|Q3 2023||Board of County Commissioner (BoCC) Briefing on June 14||June 14 BoCC Briefing Video on YouTube & June 14 Briefing Document|
BoCC Briefing on May 24
BoCC Public Hearing on May 16, 2023
|May 24, BoCC Briefing Video on YouTube & May 24 Briefing Document
May 16, BoCC Public Hearing recording on YouTube
|Q1 2023||BOCC work session on March 7, 2023||March 7 BoCC SMP Work Session video on YouTube|
|BoCC work session on February 22, 2023.||February 22 BoCC SMP Work Session video on YouTube|
|February 22 Staff Report|
|Q3-Q4 2022||Board of County Commissioners (BoCC) begin review of the draft SMP.||October 19, 2022 BoCC SMP Work Session video on YouTube|
|October 19, 2022 Staff Report|
|Q4 2021 - Q3 2022||Citizen advisory group, the Planning Commission, work sessions to review the SMP and prepare their recommendation for the BoCC.|
|Q3 2021||Planning Commission Public Hearing on October 20, 2021.||October 20, 2021 Planning Commission Public Hearing video on YouTube|
|Q3-Q4 2021||Public Hearing draft published; outreach and virtual open house.|
|2017-2021||Planning Commission review of draft SMP.|
|2013||Shoreline Characterization & Inventory and Shoreline Environment Designations Report issued.|
|2009||Update of 1990 SMP begins: research, data, analysis, initial public outreach.|
Start here! Whether you're new to the project or simply trying to make sense of the proposed changes, start with the story map. About a 10 minute read.
- Overview of Proposed Changes
- Remodeling Expanding and Rebuilding
- Shoreline Designations
- What is an SMP
- Buffers and Setbacks | Proposed Buffers Chart 2022
- Environmental Protection
- CAO and SMP
- Shoreline Permits
- Additions to SMP Jurisdiction
See where the current rules apply, where the proposed changes may take effect, and a side-by-side comparison of the two.
- 1990 SMP - Current
- 2022 SMP - Proposed Updates
- 1990 & 2022 Side-by-side comparison SED Map
- Shoreline Environmental Designations - Proposed Updates (Interactive Web)
SMP Project Documents (in date order)
- August 3, 2022
Planning Commission Recommendation documents
- October 20, 2021
Planning Commission public hearing
- August 2021
Planning Commission SMP Public Hearing Draft Documents
- Shoreline Master Program Public Hearing Draft (Clean copy)
- Planning Commission Public Hearing Draft (With edits marked)
- Inventory & Characterization Report
- Inventory & Characterization Supplement
- Shoreline Environmental Designations (SED) Report (linked below in "2013 and later")
- Shoreline Environmental Designations Report Supplement
- October 21, 2020
Full SMP Draft, Appendices and Maps previously submitted to Planning Commission:
- Full SMP Draft
- Appendix A - Environmental Designations Report
- Draft Appendix-B-C-D Combined - No Net Loss, Restoration & Channel Migration Zone Report
- Cumulative Impacts Analysis Report
- Inventory & Characterization Report
- All supporting documents and maps
- Maps Development Capacity Map | Designations Map | Minimum Jurisdiction Map
2013 and later
Draft Documents for the Updated Shoreline Inventory & Characterizations Report
- Subscribe to the Community Planning mailing list for occasional email updates using the sign-up form. You'll receive all departmental updates, not just SMP news.
- See public comments submitted by others about the SMP:
- Comments received for the BOCC public hearing
- Comments Received August 10, 2021 - October 22, 2021 (After the Oct 20 2021 Public Hearing)
- Comments received before the August 13, 2021 launch of the SMP update virtual open house.
- 1_SMP Comments Provided to Planning Commission Dec 6, 2017
- 2_SMP Comments Provided to Planning Commission Mar 7, 2018 - Part 1
- 3_SMP Comments Provided to Planning Commission Mar 7, 2018 - Part 2
- 4_SMP Comments Provided to Planning Commission Nov 7, 2018
- 5_SMP Comments Provided to Planning Commission Dec 19, 2018
- 6_SMP Comments Provided to Planning Commission Mar 20, 2019
- 7_SMP Emails Received Since Mar 6, 2019
- 7a_Addl SMP Comments since Mar 6, 2019
- 7b_SMP Addl Comments received 04-18-2020 - 03-05-2021
- 7c_SMP comments received 3-15-21 - 8-12-21
- 8_Written Public Comment Provided At Planning Commission Meetings
- 9_Planning Commissioner Comments from PC Website
- A-27 - Public Comments_Matrix
- Ecology Comments SMP Chapter 19-400 (Aug 7, 2019 comments)
- Ecology Comments SMP DRAFT Jul 2018 Version (submitted March 2019)
- SMP Comments-from-10-17-17-SMP-Meeting (PDF)
- Thurston County SMP Comment Matrix (8-2021)