Building Construction Codes
Thurston County inspects to county, state, federal and international building codes listed below. There are also construction requirements, best practices and project-specific regulations in zoning, critical area and other county codes.
County, State & International Building Code Links & References
- Thurston County Building Code Title 14: Buildings & Construction
- International Code Council building codes which are also available at the County's Building Development Center.
- Uniform Plumbing Code online at https://www.iapmo.org/publications/read-uniform-codes-online/
- Washington State Energy Code which is on the State Building Code Council Website at https://sbcc.wa.gov/state-codes-regulations-guidelines/state-building-code
- Commercial Energy Code information and forms online at www.waenergycodes.com | 2018 Energy Code | 2015 Energy Code (if permitted before 2.01.2021)
- Residential Energy Code information and forms also visit: http://www.energy.wsu.edu/buildingefficiency/energycode.aspx
- NEW - Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) codes reduce wildfire risks to people and property. For projects located in WUI areas, complete and submit worksheet with permit application materials. WUI Fact Sheet & Determination Worksheet (worksheet & instructions) | WUI Construction Requirements List | WUI Determination Worksheet (worksheet only). Learn more: Washington State Building Code Council, WAC 51-55-0500, county code title 14.20.
Building Code Drawings & Inspections
- Find building code drawings
- Truss design specs and standards drawings
- Learn more about building code inspections.
- Climatic data (PDF) info sheet.
- Plan Review & Inspection 2018 Checklist (PDF) | 2015 Checklist (PDF) - (Use the 2015 checklist if you got a permit before 2.01.2021)
The county inspects to the standards set by Washington state and spelled out in the State Building Code which includes the 2018 International Building Codes adopted on February 1, 2021.