Comprehensive Plan Home
The Comprehensive Plan outlines the county's general plan to accommodate population growth over 20 years. The plan is updated every five years with input from the community and the currently elected Board of County Commissioners.
More About the Comprehensive Plan
- Plan coverage area: unincorporated Thurston County, the sub areas of Grand Mound, Rochester and Nisqually, and the urban growth areas of Lacey, Olympia, Rainier, Tenino, Tumwater, and Yelm (made jointly with those cities).
- There is a Current Comprehensive Plan. Documents for all coverage areas are on that page.
- There is a new comprehensive plan coming. The update project called Thurston 2045 is now underway.
- The list of proposed plan changes are in the Comprehensive Plan Amendment Docket 2022/2023. The list was selected by the Board of County Commissioners and assigned to staff to work on.
- Anyone can ask for changes to the plan. See How to Propose a Comprehensive Plan Amendment.
- The plan meets requirements in Washington's Growth Management Act.
- Subscribe to the Community Planning email list to get occasional updates.
- Submit a comment on the Comprehensive Plan docket (the list of proposed changes).
- Contact Senior Planner email@example.com
- Visit Comprehensive Plan update page to participate in the Thurston 2045 project.