Skip to main content

Thurston County, Washington

The content on the Thurston County website is currently provided in English. We are providing the “Translation” for approximately 10 languages. The goal of the translation is to provide visitors with limited English proficiency to access information on the website in other languages. The translations do not translate all types of documents, and it may not give you an exact translation all the time. The translations are made through an automated process, which may not result in accurate or precise translations, particularly of technical and legal terminology.

Public Health and Social Services

Street Vending

Street vending is allowed in Thurston County by applying for a mobile food unit (MFU) permit and asking for a variance. The variance allows the use of a temporary-style setup, i.e., using a pop-up shelter, insulated cooler handwash station, and coolers with ice without being at a public event.

The completed mobile food unit application and variance request must be submitted with applicable fees paid at the time of submittal. These costs are one-time fees and do not need to be renewed each year with the food permit. Both the MFU permit and the variance are required to operate as a street vendor. Once completed, the plan review process takes approximately 6-8 weeks. 

Read the Street Vending Guide to learn more.

woman holding food in on stick from street vendor

Contact the Food and Environmental Services Section at 360-867-2667 or send an email to with additional questions.